Review by Erick Muyesu -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by Erick Muyesu -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Erick Muyesu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Divided into three major parts and sixty-two chapters, The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles is an intriguing fiction story revolving around Lucy MacMiel. Lucy is a well known successful trial lawyer in Atlanta, Georgia. She marries Luke Osbourne and bears him a baby girl Jennifer. As the story continues, it turns out that Lucy was so much into her job thus weakening her bond not only with her husband but with her daughter too.

In her line of duty, Lucy falls in love with her client Hower Bain a prominent faith healing evangelist who is accused of sexually assaulting a fifteen-year-old girl. This decision makes her lose her family, friends, and career. Hower loses his case in which Lucy was in charge as a defense lawyer and he decides to fly to Africa. Lucy follows him to Africa. While in Africa, Lucy discovers Hower's other secrets which make her leave him in Africa to go and rejuvenate her life back in the USA. She tries to recover her job, friends, and family but her efforts bear no fruits. She faces rejection and even denied a chance of seeing her own daughter. She then decides to go to California to look for another job as well as escape the hostility in Atlanta. Luckily, her former legal assistant manages to secure her a job as an assistant to Lou Panetta a lawyer she knew since she was in school. However, things didn't turn out easy as she had thought. The yoke of bad luck seemed to have found a home in her life.

When I first picked this book I was expecting to read how one should remain steadfast in chasing his/ her dreams because of its title. However, that's not what was served. William H. Coles serves us an intriguing story revolving around a character who is a true reflection of what a modern career woman goes through in trying to balance her time for work and family and other emotional life challenges.

I liked this book because of several reasons. First, the book is well crafted and the storyline flows with ease from one scene to another. Secondly, the author addresses themes like marriage and family ties, religion, politics and job ethics which are crucial in our contemporary society. Also, the author's choice of including dialogue in his writing made the storyline more interesting and engaging. The characters were well developed and this helped in developing the plot of the book. What I didn't like about this book was the inclusion of a sex scene that was vividly described. However, it was not a complete turn off for me and I enjoyed the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the author's language and writing style were simple and therefore the reader can easily understand. Also, the book was professionally edited since it had almost zero errors. I recommend this book to people who enjoy love drama, romance, and suspense genres.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Somehow, I can relate to the title, just the title, not the story. Thank ou for this review. I thought, it tackles about more on personalities.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”