Review by LinaMueller -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review by LinaMueller -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Zots and Xoodles by "Zarqnon the Embarrassed" is an ideational and abstract book which describes the creation of the universe out of nothing. Some people might interpret the book as an indirect criticism of creationism, but I don't see it that way. To explain my train of thought, I first need to describe who the author is.

After spending some time reading the About the Author section on Amazon, the curious reader will find out that JW McLaughlin is an abstract musician. According to his own words, he is genuinely interested in many aspects of science. What is most important to know, however, is that the author is on the autistic spectrum. That's the main reason why I can't consider Of Zots and Xoodles an indirect criticism of creationism. It seems much more reasonable, on the contrary, to regard this book as an experimental work by a talented and sensitive author who has a deep interest in science-related subjects.

Theodil, the main character, is like God before the creation of the universe. There is also a child who exists to make the book easier to understand (and to avoid a dull monologue as well). As much as there are some funny situations in the book, one gets the impression that only a very narrow audience will enjoy it. That is very disappointing because the book is terrific. I don't know exactly how, but the author must add some elements that would make the text more enjoyable for the average Joe. Sad thing and probably the major flaw of the book.

The illustrations are what I liked the most about this publication. Frank Louis Allen is a fantastic artist. I was deeply impressed when I discovered he was blind. After finishing the book, I decided to visit frankdraws.com. When I saw his other draws, I was stunned by his talent. Grub Baby and the Infinite Pillar of Light is an astounding work of art. It wouldn't be absurd to say that the illustrator almost overshadowed the author.

In brief, Of Zots and Xoodles deserves 3 out of 4 stars. I found only one comma misuse. Thus, there is no question that the editing is professional. It was with a heavy heart that I took one star away. The book is unique and special in its way, but the author must do something to make the text more interesting for a broader audience. Some changes are necessary but, of course, without changing the essence and scientific content of the book. Anyone who is a science buff will love it. Anyway, I believe the book is best suited for teens. An adult who has read a lot of similar material will find nothing new in this work.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This does sound like an interesting work; however, I appreciate your recommendation and warning that many adults would find this book a bit redundant.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for this wonderful review. It is intriguing how the illustrations could be done more fascinating. I guess the corrections you've suggested will be done done by the author.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Your descriptions make me want to get the book to see the pictures as well as read the book. Thanks for a great review!
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 15:03 This does sound like an interesting work; however, I appreciate your recommendation and warning that many adults would find this book a bit redundant.
Thanks for your feedback, CommMayo. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

Kibetious wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 04:54 Thanks for this wonderful review. It is intriguing how the illustrations could be done more fascinating. I guess the corrections you've suggested will be done done by the author.
Amazing art. Only a true artist would paint something so beautiful. That's the main proof that prejudice is in the eye of the beholder. Thanks for passing by, Kibetious. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

Prisallen wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 11:22 Your descriptions make me want to get the book to see the pictures as well as read the book. Thanks for a great review!
Go ahead, my friend. You can easily read the book in about one hour. Thanks for passing by. You know that I always enjoy your posts. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”