Review by va2016 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Review by va2016 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by va2016 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book The Warramunga’s War by Greg Kater. It is a story of friendship between two Australian army officers and their work together. People interested in adventure stories are the intended audience of this book. Since there are instances of profanity in the book, the content is recommended for mature adults. There is no erotic content in the book.

Lieutenant James Munro alias Jamie meets Corporal Jack O’Brien alias Jacko in a battlefield in Beirut. Jacko uses his Warramunga aboriginal skills to help Jamie make progress in that battle. That incident lays the foundation for their friendship that continues even after that war. The reader is motivated to find out more about their friendship, their work, and how their lives would unfold.

What I liked most about the book is its exquisite narration of the places in which the story happens. The story is adorned with several interesting things such as descriptions of the picturesque Cairo and the rugged Australian terrain, detective activities in the Cairo’s houseboats, Jacko’s unconventional tactics while tackling the adversaries, Warramunga tribe’s abilities, and Cairo police’s investigation of the serial murders. The author has elucidated Jacko’s vivacious and energetic nature very well. The enchanting romance between Jacko and his girlfriend Monique is worth a mention. The book conveys the messages of courage, companionship, love, and adventure.

What I disliked most about the book is the insufficient proofreading. I located several mechanical errors in the book, including spelling mistakes and punctuation errors. The story gets sluggish in a few places, for instance, when Jamie’s team strategizes on how to get hold of the criminals in the Australian caves. There are several instances of profanity in the book. Although the Australian English spoken by some of the characters adds flavor to the story, it might make it difficult for some readers to understand the vocabulary.

Overall, I found this book very entertaining. Those who like adventure stories would love to read this book. Travel enthusiasts who look forward to visit Cairo will also find this book interesting. The reader is kept engaged by the happenings in Cairo and Australia. Because of insufficient proofreading, the quality of the book is reduced. I would have rated this book 4 out of 4 stars owing to the great entertainment it provides. As I am disappointed by poor proofreading, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”