Review by juliusotieno02 -- Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Review by juliusotieno02 -- Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Read My Mind" by Stephen McLeod.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being only 18, David is in trouble of finding himself. According to him, for life to be as comfortable as he needs it to be, all he needs are money, sex, and power. As a result, he reads Friedrich Nietzsche’s philosophical books, trying to determine a better way to view the word. Well, the books never disappoint him.

In his book, Read My Mind, Stephen McLeod takes us through the life of David, or rather his major life events as he struggles to find the meaning of life.

Though divided into chapters, a keen reader will realize that the stories in this book are independent and can be read in any order. Besides the main story, the author breaks the monotony by introducing related poems and songs at the end of each chapter. Although the major theme is catharsis, there are several minor themes that include religion, love, humanity, and culture. On love, David spends more time alone than he spends with someone, not because he chooses to but because he’s single. In fact, he admires couples walking around together, sunbathing and enjoying each other’s company. He wishes he had the opportunity too. When he finally meets his love and were sunbathing, his thoughts were, “If we sunbathe naked, imagine what else we might do.”

Since this book is philosophical, I have to talk a little about some of its major philosophies. Stephen uses a book within a book style to introduce the philosophy in this book. For instance, a book by Friedrich Nietzsche, being read by the character, David, is the main source of philosophy here. I found some of these beliefs so interesting. For example, “If life is an ocean of suffering, then the true meaning of life is to be happy, at no one else’s expense.” (Page 27).

I really loved the book, not only because I could identify with David, especially in his young atheist belief, but also because I agreed with most, if not all the theories in this book. I’m a great fan of poetry. The added poems at the end of each chapter just added to my excitement. By the time I picked this book, I had been reading a book about religion and it’s the origin. Then this line from my book just got me thinking so hard, “The goal of humans is to know everything, live forever and never suffer. Hence we invented God as someone who looks like us, knows everything and never gets sick or dies.” (Page 27). I’m yet to reach my conclusion on religion though. Since I didn’t get any error throughout the reading, the book is adequately edited.

Although the book was generally well written, I didn’t like the way the poems were introduced. This is because, in as much as they shared a single theme with their associate chapters, the author did not tell us whether the poems were written by David or someone else.

Although the author had several chances of including erotic and explicit sex scenes in this book, his aptitude for dodging them impressed me. I only found a single borderline sentence, as far as profanity is concerned. This book, therefore, is suitable for readers of all ages. Although the poems and songs weren’t properly introduced, that was a minor mistake that didn’t affect my reading. I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who likes philosophy. Highly religious people who get easily offended by atheist beliefs may not enjoy the book as much.

Read My Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm not a fan of poetry, and the plot doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy reading. Thanks for the great review, though!
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

This is a really intriguing review. I first read it because I was curious what type of book would have a title like that, but your description of it, as well as the fact that it's a book on philosophy that shares it in an intriguing way sounds fascinating. I hope you get a lot more views, because this is a great review and the book sounds quite interesting.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

The word 'catharsis' is strange to me; I had to look it up. It's interesting to know that the book has themes of catharsis, religion, love, humanity, and culture. I like poetry and this one might pique my interest. Thanks for an informed review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

A very interesting combination of philosophy and poetry. I like how the book is organized. It definitely stands out.
John Ogada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ogada.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by John Ogada »

I love poetry. The book definitely seems great.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”