Review by Wriley -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wriley
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Wriley -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoo...

Post by Wriley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi is the seventh book in this British children’s series. Inca, a small Siberian cat, narrates the story. She is also the head of her detective agency, Inca & Company. The book starts with introductions of her fellow detectives and family members. Mom is Inca’s human, and Solo is Mom’s detective friend. This is a diverse group of characters that includes three kitties, a hamster, and a detective dog that belongs to Solo. Each chapter represents a single day in Inca’s diary.

In this book, Inca and her friends are visiting Sri Lanka. The group begins the trip by relaxing on the beach but soon hears that an antique sword has gone missing in Colombe. Inca and her fellow detectives investigate and start gathering data. They make friends along the way with Meena, the baby elephant, and Rani, a turtle. Solo is also investigating the case, so Inca can view surveillance pictures of the thieves. They find there are two thieves and one thief has a scar. 

All work and no play are never fun, so Mom and Solo bring the kitties and friends on a tour of cultural sites. The group visits ancient ruins in the jungle, and monkeys jump on their vehicle. At a safari park, they see lots of birds, cheetahs, and water buffaloes. They spend a night at the park, and Frombe, Inca’s brother, sneaks out to meet his cheetah cousins. Of course, Inca must find him but gets lost herself. Along the way of the tour, they gather a few clues to solve the mystery by the end of the book.

The organization is expertly created so children will understand the dynamics of the story. The book begins with a family tree of Inca & Company and shows the characters in the book. Since this is the seventh book in the series, but can be read as a stand-alone story, the organization is important for kids to understand who everyone is.

The parts I like most are the abundance of different facts the book provides. The geography and history of Sri Lanka are beautifully woven into the story with lots of facts about the area. Kristi includes cultural information, such as Sri Lanka has two thousand years of history and eight UNESCO World Heritage Site. They meet many different animals, including the turtle, elephant, and cheetah. The habitats and characteristics of each animal are intertwined within the mystery plot. The book's plot wraps up in an entertaining fashion. Kristi places clues throughout the book as she inserts facts about the island.

There is not a single thing I dislike in this fun children’s mystery book. This comparatively short book at 124 pages is professionally edited because I found no errors. The illustrations are exquisitely drawn and add to the reading experience. The recommended ages of the series are children 7 to 12 years old. Kids who love science and geography will especially enjoy reading the story. I am sure adults that like learning about culture will find the book entertaining.

I am proud to rate Serendipity Mystery 4 out of 4 stars. This is one of the best children’s books I have read in some time. Parents will appreciate the book as well.

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”