Review by janelwhite -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
janelwhite
2019 Reading Goal: 22
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 81
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Review by janelwhite -- The Reel Sisters

Post by janelwhite »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a fiction novel about the lives of five women who are drawn together through the sport of fly fishing. Their friendship defies social status and age. Their love of fly fishing bonds them and creates a very unique friendship. This book is a beautiful tale of the realities of life and relationships. It is a reminder that anything is endurable with true friends by your side.

This novel is the tale of five very different women. Cummings has written this novel with a unique pattern. Each chapter is simply titled by the name of the character sharing the events of their life, and the chapters rotate back and forth between characters. This allows the reader to feel very close to each character and to have real insight into their thoughts.

The story begins as you meet Sophie. Sophie grew up on a farm in Kansas. She hunted and fished growing up but had never gone fly fishing. After watching the movie “A River Runs Through It”, she was intrigued. The pristine setting and fly casting had her hooked. Sophie shares how she met Rose and where the group meets to go fishing. You learn about the matriarch, Rose, and her beautiful cabin on the Arkansas River in Colorado. Rose and her husband built the cabin in the 1960s. Rose graciously shares her cabin with her friends and always has hot food ready with a glass of wine. You are immediately connected to Rose as if she were your favorite aunt you have known all your life. As Sophie shares how she met Rose, you get a very clear picture of the sense of humor shared between them. Rose shares how they met while looking at flies in a fly shop. She was laughing out loud at the names such as “Two-Bit Hooker” when Rose overheard her. Rose exclaimed her success using those flies by saying it was the best two-dollar hooker she ever bought! The bond was instant.

The story continues as you also meet Veronica and Amanda. Veronica is an executive who travels extensively coaching women to be better leaders. Amanda is a teacher with two small children. Her husband is deployed to Afghanistan. Melody is literally swept into their little group after falling into the river while taking nude photos of herself. Melody is a very talented photographer and musician.

The reader is taken on a journey of discovery as the lives of each character unfold. I loved most how you learn about each character personally. You learn of Sophie’s broken heart and struggle to love again. You connect with Rose as she slowly shares all she has lost in her life. Cummings carefully and slowly reveals her secrets. Veronica is an inspiration as you learn of her success that is truly related to her fly fishing hobby. You feel the struggle Amanda has daily to work full time and then come home and be a single mother while her husband is deployed. You relate to Melody as she joins this already solid group of four. She is a loner and a unique individual that seemingly doesn’t fit. I believe what makes this group so special is they are completely bonded through fly fishing. With this common sport, all are accepted.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. It made me laugh and cry. It made me long for the solid girlfriends to go through life with. When I read the last page I was so disappointed it was over! I felt like I had lost a group of friends. I am anxiously awaiting the sequel! I found no errors and I give The Reel Sisters 4 out of 4 stars because of the eloquent story and moving characters. The only thing I disliked about this book was the cover. I believe a picture of the group of friends would be perfect. This book will appeal to anyone who enjoys fishing and stories about true friendship. Reader note, the ending has quite a twist. This should be the next book you pick up and read. “What are you wading for”?

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: Ulverton
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: A Prince of a King by Gene Abravaya

Post by Juliet+1 »

Great review! I read and reviewed this book too and really enjoyed it. And I like your idea for the cover. It would be fun to see how an artist would draw the five women.

LauraLeeWasHere
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 316
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

On the surface the description of this book sounds very strange. But with so many readers truly loving it and proving it by taking the time to write reviews, I think it's time I got my nose into it.
Thanks for the nudge.
LLR
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. John 21:25 KJV

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”