Review by Echo Haapala -- Guilt by David Taylor Black

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Review by Echo Haapala -- Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Echo Haapala »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guilt" by David Taylor Black.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dan Harris is a wreck. A few months prior, he experienced a family tragedy and now he is on the verge of divorce. He decides to get away so he can heal and focus on writing his next book. Dan lands in Hope Town. It is a small village in the Bahamas where everybody knows you by name. While there, he meets the energetic and charismatic, Cat. During a tour of the island with Cat, they stumble across the corpse of Ed Wilson. As an outsider, Dan is the prime suspect in the murder investigation. Who killed Ed Wilson? Will there be more dead bodies? Will Dan be able to prove his innocence? Or will his bad luck continue?

Let me start by saying that I enjoyed every page of this book. Without a doubt, Guilt by David Taylor Black deserves a 4 out of 4. If I listed all of the reasons why then my review would turn into a short story. Instead, I will focus on three of my favorite things: the plot, characters, and dialogue.

The plot of Guilt can be best described as suspenseful chaos. To be honest, when I first started reading, I thought this would be a classic “whodunit.” Don’t get me wrong, it certainly is a theme of this book. Yet, as I continued reading, I realized there was so much more to this story. There seemed to be multiple twists and turns page after page. Truthfully, I was so intrigued that I was unable to put this book down.

An intriguing plot is just the beginning. Wait until you meet the characters. There were so many! Some characters were just background noise while others played a prominent role. No matter how big or small, they all had brilliant personalities. It kept the read very exciting. In my opinion, the best characters were Wally and Bea. The two older ladies were witty and spunky. I smiled whenever they appeared.

To go along with the amazing characters was great dialogue. Each page was filled with it. Most of the story is told in conversations between Dan and the islanders. It all flowed very well and felt authentic. The conversations were so effortless that it seemed like I was watching an intriguing Netflix series. Continue watching? Yes, please!

With all of this said, I would recommend Guilt to crime and mystery lovers. In my opinion, the classic “whodunit” plus thrilling plot twists are perfect for those readers. I would not recommend this book to a younger audience because of the content. Some of the details were graphic and the topic of rape was also mentioned. As a side note, I did find a few grammar errors but none of them disrupted my reading.

Guilt
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”