Review by Browneh -- Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Browneh
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 34
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Browneh -- Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Post by Browneh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Spyder Bones" by Oliver Phipps.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s no shock that I loved yet another book by Oliver Phipps, this time it’s Spyder Bones.

Summer 1969: at the height of the Vietnam war, Aaron Prescott (known to his comrades as ‘Spyder’) has already served one tour of duty as a regular cavalryman; this time, he has returned for a second tour as a combat medic. After falling from a rescue helicopter in the middle of battle – a feat which should have killed him - he suffers months in a coma.

After suffering this near-death experience, Aaron must decide whether the things he saw during his blackout were real, or whether it was all just a fever-dream? Is there a mystical and spiritual war all around us?

This book was very surprising. From the blurb I scanned before reading, I had no idea it Mr. Phipps would divulge into a wonderful and wacky world of the unknown. Lycanthropes, vampires and alchemists; he manages to balance every new monster fantastically, they jump off the page. This hidden spiritual war managed to brilliantly jump off the pages and left me wanting much more!

After recently reading one of his other novellas, I had high expectations of this author; ones which he managed to meet. The majority of the characters in this book - particularly Aaron - were well-rounded and developed despite entering into his story in his late twenties. A driven and focused person, Aaron manages to fight for the greater good whilst balancing his everyday life.

My only complaint is the ending of the novella. I was disappointed that two characters - that are very important to Aaron's life - Camilla and Victoria are relatively underdeveloped. Camilla's appearance in Aaron's story is sudden and somewhat unexplained, she just appears at the perfect time when everything appears to have settled down; this seemed quite jumpy.

I was also disappointed with how Sonya (Sunny) was written out when she was no longer needed; she seemed to only be used to progress Aaron's story further, rather than to enable actual development. It's upsetting to see this as Phipps' has previously managed to write strong, independent and sassy female characters.

Despite it being a novella, the story is well-paced, captivating and intriguing throughout. Therefore, for the reasons above, I believe that 3 out of 4 stars is justified. With some small tweaks to the female characters in this story, I feel it could be an exceptional plot.

Spyder Bones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”