Review by e-reeder -- The Poison Profession

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Review by e-reeder -- The Poison Profession

Post by e-reeder »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Poison Profession" by Rachel Wright.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright is the first book in the Crail Assassin Series. This is a work of fiction which was formerly titled Tikopia. It has three parts and twenty-two chapters. It is a story of Louisa Clayman, a young lady who hails from New Zealand, and her brothers, Tom and Jack. The three siblings run an anonymous assassination company called Crail, which is covered up by a top-notch security firm in the United Kingdom. They always make sure that Crail is run smoothly; it makes them extra money.

This book tells us about the Dark Web's reputation of taking down targets, making them look like the deaths are of natural causes. Louisa is the top assassin for Crail, and Jack is the brain behind the computer hacks, firewall encryption, software encryption, phone bugging, and adding glitches to camera footages. Tom is an accountant who's in charge of the income from all of Crail's assignments, and money laundering. They all worked together to create an illegal syndicate. However, Louisa's life took a turnaround when she fell in love with a Swedish computer-game hacker, Rikard Larson. Her romance with Rikard soon became a problem for Crail when a friend of Rikard, Markus, started getting suspicious of Louisa. Will Markus be able to reveal the identity of Louisa and put Crail in jeopardy? Will Louisa play herself into the hands of Markus and Rikard? How will Louisa manage her professional and personal life? You'll have to read this book to find out.

The Poison Profession is an interesting book with an exciting premise. Each character complemented one another's personalities in this book. The author ensured that the characterization was interesting. Rachel gave a vivid description of Solomon islands, private beaches, and exotic cars. She also gave an in-depth look into drug usage, which shows that the author has a broad knowledge of medicine. Generally, it was an interesting and informative book. It was fascinating to read about the adventures while they were on Crail's assignments.

It was difficult to tell if the story was told in the first or third person narrative. The author kept switching between the two narratives, which made the book a bit difficult to follow some times. The other thing I didn't appreciate much about this book was that it was more of romance than crime fiction. There were many explicit contents in this book.

However, I like that The Poison Profession has unpredictable plot twists; they regularly left me in shock. The book's fast pace is another reason I enjoyed reading it. I didn't notice any typos and grammatical errors, which means the book is professionally edited. I recommend it to readers of crime and mystery who also enjoy romance. I won't recommend it those who are younger than 18. I am only removing a star from the rating because of the excessive inclusion of sexual contents in it. As a result of this, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Poison Profession
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”