Review by Dee_218 -- Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One o...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Review by Dee_218 -- Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One o...

Post by Dee_218 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series)" by Stella Knights.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lost and Love: Thailand by Stella Knights is a romantically adventurous fictional novel about two lovers who are struggling with living as a married couple. Living in a nice terrace home, marrying her high school sweetheart, having a job and paying off all her bills sure is a blessing that Savannah cannot overlook. Savannah, a young call center employee finds that her life is not as fulfilling as she would like it to be. An idea sells her to a once in a lifetime possibility to bring back the spark into her relationship.

Savannah's story is told in the first-person narrative. The author immediately lets us in Savannah's life, feelings and thoughts which I loved. Savannah internalizes many of her experiences, we see life through her perspective. Her inner dialogue allows us to get to know her better as the story develops. Savannah keeps referring to the missing pieces of her life that she can't seem to grasp. One example;  ".. I misplaced something important. I keep looking around and searching, but I can’t quite put my finger on the problem.” shows just how urgent the matter is and it's portrayed throughout the novel. Savannah's friend Pam who is as young and as married as her, except that Pam has two toddlers, has had many lessons ahead of Savannah, alas she has the experience to advise Savannah on marriage.

Johnny's character is much different from Savannah's. As her husband, Johnny has a disconnect with the audience as we do not know much about him. I disliked this aspect because I felt like we needed to get to know him better as the protagonist's partner. As readers, we needed to understand where his decision- making came from in order to sympathize or interpret his decisions without bias. There are a number of things he does that are questionable and then we are left hanging and wondering about his morals and values.

I commend Stella's writing. It is simple, graphic and light. There are a number of humorous moments as the story develops. Both Savannah and Pam share comic dialogues. Savannah's internal dialogue tends to be quite comic and that's why you will love journeying with her through her ups and downs and as she decides to take charge of her destiny. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the read. It was fast-paced and not confusing. Albeit my above-mentioned frustrations, I give the novel 4 out of 4 stars. The story was not compromised and was well delivered. Since this one is the first of its series I still have hope that we will get to know a bit more about Johnny, so I cannot fault the author in this aspect as yet. The novel contains some explicit language and graphic intimate scenes. Male genitals are graphically portrayed.I recommend the book to readers above 20 years.

Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Lightning Strikes Twice by Ric Frances

Post by Prisallen »

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, but I don't think it is for me. The husband's disconnect with the audience is a problem for me as well as the graphic sex scenes. Thanks for a wonderful review, though!

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I'm not one for sex scenes in books. Even if the story sounds interesting, it's just not for me. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

tristenb
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

A book about a struggling married couple and Savannah's search for fulfillment. It sounds like an interesting story. I wonder what the once in a lifetime possiblity is. I guess I'll have to read it to find out.

Julius_
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A book with simple and light writing style is often enjoyable to read. I'm glad you loved the book. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”