Review by Hester3 -- Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Review by Hester3 -- Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by Hester3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Conflict on the Yangtze" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two Australian agents from the Commonwealth Investigations Service are requested by MI6 to help with an investigation into an opium-smuggling operation in post-war China. They are joined by an American form the US intelligence agency, Office of Strategic Services and two MI6 operators.

Jamie and Jacko met during the war and became co-workers and friends. When they agree to help MI6 in China, they decide to let their wives, Monique and Carna, and Jacko’s half-sister Sarah visit Jaco’s inlaws in the Philippines where they would be save. They then continue on to China and their mission, they meet up with Harry, the American OSS agent, and Johnny and Lee, the MI6 agents.

Together they sail up the Yangtze river on a recognizance mission and to do a little sabotage. During their return voyage to Shanghai, their loved ones in the Philippines run into trouble of their own. Young Sarah shows great ingenuity in helping them out and saving the day.

The agents follow the opium-smuggling operation from China, through the Philippines and into Australia. They run into all sorts of trouble and surprising allies along the way.

Readers of the Warramunga trilogy might not be as surprised with Sarah’s antics as I was, but she became one of my favorite characters. Conflict On The Yangtze by Greg Kater does follow after the Warramunga trilogy, but it is a stand-alone novel and I had no trouble following the story.

This is a fast passed novel with action, intrigue, and international espionage. The characters are well developed and I had trouble putting the book down (I was late for work one day because I decided to read one chapter before leaving home).

It is very difficult for me to choose my favorite part but if I have to single something out it would be Jaco’s interaction with Ming, the Chinese wolfdog and the way Sarah convinced a group of smugglers that she was an entire tribe of Myalls wanting to attack them in the middle of the night.

There is not really any part of the book that I did not like, I would have liked it if Sarah played a bigger role but as she is still a young girl maybe by the time the next book comes out she will be older and play a bigger part.

I gladly rate this book 4 out of 4, the book was well written and very well edited, the characters were believable and there were enough surprises along the way to be unpredictable. The book is also historicaly correct and filled with interesting facts about the aftermath of world war two. I recommend the book to readers of historical novels and lovers of espionage. There is mention of violence, but it is not described in great detail still people who are sensitive to violence and torture should avoid this book.

Conflict on the Yangtze
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”