Review by Newlyretired -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Newlyretired
Currently Reading: Pressing Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-newlyretired.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by Newlyretired -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by Newlyretired »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surgeons Wife by William H. Coles a book of friendship, mentorships, and relationships of families. We are introduced and follow Michael Boudreaux, chief of surgery and Clayton Otherson, his mentor. We also meet Clayton’s family-wife Catherine and daughter Mellisa.

The story begins with Mike being pulled from his own surgical case to an emergency on another case. Mike enters the surgical suite to find Clayton standing above the patient on the OR table frozen unable to do anything as his patient was bleeding out. Mike finds the problem and fixes it. Due to the nature of the problem, hospital politics and bureaucracy the OR committee must get involved. Reluctantly Clayton agrees to the committees' recommendations that were set forth. He is to have further training and to be monitored during his surgery cases.

The book continues following the ups and downs of Clayton and his continual decline. During this time Catherine and Mellisa are developed further and we become more familiar with both of them and involved in their lives. The story follows their lives with the trials and tribulations of their life and life with Clayton. Life goes on to the eventual end and ultimate decline of the family.

The characters are well developed and easy to follow. We don’t lose sight of each of them. Due to the nature of the story, Mr. Coles does an excellent job describing the medical aspects and use of medical jargon making it simple and easy to understand and follow. Having worked at a hospital known to be one of the first and well known bariatric centers Mr. Cole portrays bariatric surgery and it’s many issues very accurately. This medical issue of obesity/morbid obesity specifically is one of the biggest in today’s society and its treatment with multiple issues were put forth by Mr. Coles simply and with accuracy.

This book was easy to read and one that could be read quickly. It is well written with only one error noted. Due to my familiarity with the subject or storyline, I had a hard time putting the book down. While I do not consider the use of hell and damn as profanity these words were used in the book on several occasions. I am unable to state anything I disliked about the book. The book was well written and edited and presented some real everyday difficulties of the subject well. Hospital politics, friendships, mentorships, and family relations are explored and defined clearly in the story. There were no erotic scenes in the book but the language at times implied it.

I think this book would be attracted to a general audience of males, females and from the age of teens to older adults. I am giving this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”