Review by KitabuKizuri -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 245
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Review by KitabuKizuri -- The Spirit of Want

Post by KitabuKizuri » 16 Sep 2019, 02:18

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want was written by William H. Coles, an experienced writer of fiction stories. It has three parts and a total of 62 short chapters.

Luke Osbourne (MD) is a surgical practitioner under the mentorship of Dr. A.J. MacMiel. Sandra Perez, a trainee with an impeccable record, just got dismissed from the training program, and the reasons behind it aren't adding up. As Luke tries to find out more, he discovers Dr. MacMiel is behind it, and a lawsuit may soon follow. The fact that Dr. MacMiel is his father-in-law makes the situation a bit complicated, now that Luke finds himself in the investigative committee of the case.

Meanwhile, Luke also faces some domestic challenges as his wife spends more time at work than he expects. His daughter’s inept caretaker becomes unfit for work. The fact that he has to move in with his sister and mother-in-law for the sake of his daughter puts him in an awkward position where he may end up making some pivotal life decisions, for better or worse.

The book was written in the third person, with each chapter focusing on a character's story-line at a time. What I liked most about the book is the character development and their complex relations as the story unfolded. For instance, it wasn't so obvious to me as the reader that there was more to Lucy's (Luke's wife) time spent on the job until she follows her passions overseas. My initial impression of her was that of a thorough professional, hunting for all the ‘facts’ while preparing for her client’s defense in court.

The theme of the book predominantly explores the depraved nature of man, especially those who command respect in society. There are consequences for those who treat others unfairly as well as those who do the right thing. The capacity for those who are at the apex of trusted institutions to succumb to actions beneath their social standing is real. We see it in real life on the news and in the grapevine, but the reader of this book will get to see it ‘from the inside’. I recommend the book to a mature audience who enjoy some drama and intrigue in their books, as well as those who need some great entertainment. There wasn’t anything I disliked most about the book.

I found the story informative and entertaining, with great editing on the epub review copy. It was easy to read and I think it will be relatable to people from all walks of life. I give the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”