Review by jasmine-louise -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jasmine-louise
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Review by jasmine-louise -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise » 15 Sep 2019, 22:25

[Following is a volunteer review of "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel is about a young woman called Sharon who wakes and realizes she is in a coffin. As she finally escapes the coffin she discovers that she is not just dead but she is now a zombie. Sharon has no recollection of dying or how she became to be a zombie. Sharon now has two problems to solve ; firstly, Sharon has to work out how she became a zombie and how secondly how can she remain a vegan whilst being a zombie.

Jen Frankel writes with a humorous flair, making this book an enjoyable read. The storyline jumped around a bit, especially at the start of the book, however it does slow down. I’m not too much of a fan of jumping backwards and forwards in story lines. But I can see why Frankel writes this way as it gives the reader different points of views and fills in some gaps. This also helps show Sharon’s character before and after death and how she is able to make changes in life/in death that make her existence enjoyable.

I really loved the way Frankel wrote Sharon, she has such great character development; she makes a good strong female lead. Sharon really comes into herself and pushes forward in life, in spite of her circumstances and relationships she learns to love herself and not worry about how others perceive her. Undead redhead is quiet a short read (282 pages), in this short space of time we really see Sharon’s character come full circle and in such a relatable way- well except for becoming a zombie and shows that we can all give and receive love no matter who we are, we are worthy.

The character development for the rest of Frankel’s characters were just as good as Sharon’s character development and I also really enjoyed how Frankel intertwined Haitian and voodoo into Sharon’s traditional western culture. The whole concept of voodoo and zombies is interesting. I also found the idea of a vegan zombie fascinating, it is very unlike traditional zombie stories and seeing how Sharon is able to adjust to zombie life as a vegan is quiet humorous.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars . The editing in Undead Redhead was done very well; I only spotted a few errors. This a humorous read, you will not want to put the book down until you have finished. This book would be great for YA audience or people who like strong female lead characters and people who love a good zombie read.

Undead Redhead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”