Review by jvillalobosm86 -- Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jvillalobosm86
Currently Reading: Wellness Toolbox
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvillalobosm86.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Review by jvillalobosm86 -- Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies

Post by jvillalobosm86 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies" by Robert Marier.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Perfect Fairways, Hidden Lies" deals with the investigation of a serial killer whose MO is used to explore the world of golf. A series of murders with a peculiar method baffles the police in several US states at the beginning of 2018 and the investigation falls in the hands of a man who wanted to be in the big leagues of golf. It is very clear throughout the book that Robert Merier is passionate about the sport,  possibly a player himself.

Most liked: To start with the positive,  the narrative does constant descriptions of the settings and surroundings in a clear and illustrative manner,  without dwelling too long in unnecessary details. This usually happens at the start of chapters, which helps build the atmosphere.
Some chapters include particularly illustrations,  mostly photographs edited to give the reader's imagination a nice boost.

As well,  if you enjoy golf or are a player, you can empathize with the author's love for it.
I feel the base story has potential and could have grabbed my attention. However (and here is the not- so- flattering ""disliked most" section), as much as the book has potential,  it is not invested correctly. The story is abundant in plot holes and inconsistencies, both for a story of any genre and for a detective work. The investigators,  for example,  insist on not wasting time to find the killer to,  immediately,  take actions which will obviously give no result (among other notorious gaps)..
The characters are not much described past a couple of vague details,  which doesn't aid into getting into the book. Their dialogues are cartoonish and redundant and show very little knowledge of crime investigation. The detective work is not logical not realistic and instead is used mostly to introduce details about golf,  to the point you feel the book is an advertisement about a particular ball type.

One thing that particularly bothered me was, how many times can you refer to the killer as a sick person? It is understood from the fact that there are murders going on and these dialogues do little to enrich the story.

To summarize, there is potential but it is just that. The author wraps his fondness for golf in a story pletoric of unrealistic and unnecessary dialogue with poor investigation. Being particularly fond of Thomas Harris and Agatha Christie, I feel the work done in this book could have been much better. I give it 2 out of 4 mostly due to dialogue, lack of actual investigation work and of character depth.

Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”