Review by Don Pwai -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Review by Don Pwai -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Don Pwai » 15 Sep 2019, 01:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles is a story about love and family. A highly respected woman lawyer, Lucy falls in love with an evangelist who has been accused of sexually molesting a child. Lucy is the evangelist’s lawyer. Lucy feels like there is something unique and irresistible about the evangelist. She falls in love for him during the case trials. She loses the case on trial and appeals the decision. While the matter is on appeal, the evangelist escapes from the country. Lucy abandons her husband and daughter and goes after the evangelist to Africa. She is faced with deep questions and wonders whom her life’s love is. She returns to the state to try to tie the broken knots only to discover the unrequited effects of broken love. Her family and friends are unwilling to forgive her behavior. She must strive to win them over and regain their respect.

I loved the language used by the author in narrating this novel. the author uses an easy language that is easy to read and understand. There is no throwing about of ambiguous terms. The simple language thus made the book easily comprehensible. I believe that gives this book an extra leverage since person of all ages can easily read and understand it. Moreover, the novel is exceptionally well edited and thus I had no trouble reading it at all.

Additionally, I was awed by the themes discussed in this novel. The author narrates themes like family unity, romance, religion and hypocrisy, and place of women in the society. I must admit that it was an easy task to connect with themes in the novel. They reflect the society today. To that end, these books was educative on various societal matters. It was a good learning material on challenges in the society and how we can go about such situations. For instance, when Lucy is glued in a love triangle, the author reminds readers that family should be the primary priority as is evidenced by Lucy going back to rebuild her family and ask for their forgiveness. That was amazing.

The styles used in the creation of the novel enhanced its taste. The author uses suspense, vivid description, comedy and irony, and dialogue in creating the novel. They enhanced the taste of the novel in different ways. I was particularly moved by the comedy in the novel. I could not help but laugh at certain comical scenes in the course of the narration. Characters like Hower Bain are just comical. He is a pastor but the manner in which he goes about his preaching duties was just hilarious. He was always a recipe for comedy. The comedy broke the monotony of the narration.

Lastly, I award this novel 4 out of 4 stars. The book has a compelling and amazing content that is highly educative. The author discusses the society where the readers live in. He thus creates a connection with his readers. That was excellent. I recommend this book to all person from the human family. There is a lot about love and family to be learnt from the leading character Lucy. I believe all persons should read this novel since love and family are things that affects all of us. I therefore cannot advice anybody against reading this book.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”