Review by Meg98 -- Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Review by Meg98 -- Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by Meg98 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cooperative Lives" by Patrick Finegan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cooperative Lives is a fictional drama novel by Patrick Finegan. Set in New York City, it tells the story of three different families living in an apartment complex. Their lives intertwine in some way for short periods, and they discover that they have more in common than they would have expected.

The story starts by introducing George and Hanni Wallace, a unique couple that both care deeply for each other. However, when their only daughter Alya becomes diagnosed with leukemia, their entire world turns upside down. Their marriage starts to take a toll as they focus on Alya, as well as George taking time away from work. Alya sadly passes away, resulting in Hanni leaving him, and George losing his job. George hits rock bottom and feels lost and empty in his life. He must find a new way to live, with which he struggles throughout the story.

Jack, Susan, and Melissa are a loving family, friends of George and Hanni. Jack is a colleague of George and tries to seek justice for him following his lost career. They will suffer some consequences along the way but will have to determine whether the fight for George's job is worth it.

The third family is Sheldon, Marian, and their daughter Helen. A beloved couple, Sheldon and Marian loved each other very much and loved their daughter equally. Sadly, Helen and Marian passed away, leaving Sheldon alone. Similar to George's situation, he has had to adjust to a new life without them, which is an incredibly difficult task. Sheldon does find a special bond with Jack's family, which helps with his solitude.

The book is engaging from the start, and the storyline is unique. However, the plot is quite complicated to read, and there are several main characters, so it is not something the reader can skim. I do not find this to be a negative aspect because I enjoy psychological and convoluted plots. If you are looking for a smooth, light read, this may not be the right book for you.

The pacing of the book was also well done. None of the conflicts or scenes were introduced too quickly or slowly, keeping the reader interested throughout. I also enjoyed the tenses of each chapter being different, ranging from 2010 to 2013. It provided enough complexity to be interesting to read, but not too much to be confusing.

Perhaps the best demonstration of Finegan's writing was the scene of Alya's death. A precious little girl is taking her last breaths, clinging onto whatever life she had left. The trauma the family had to endure was truly emotional to read and was very well written by the author.

The highlight of the author's writing strengths, in my opinion, is his character development. The descriptions he introduced early on were effective and thorough, allowing the characters to grow throughout the plot. I felt for the characters and all of their struggles emotionally. I was also able to connect with each character. Knowing exactly how to express the imagination in words is something that only a few writers can effectively do. Finegan has achieved this task.

There were some mild profanities and erotic content throughout the book, but it is was not overwhelming and did not detract from the story. I would not recommend this book for younger readers. It is a hefty and emotional read, with a complex plot and adult subject matter.

On another note, the book had immaculate editing, and I did not find a single error.

I only have the most positive things to say about Cooperative Lives. It has flawless editing, an enthralling storyline, superb character development, and imaginative writing. Therefore, my rating is 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a tear-jerking story with a strong theme of the importance of family. I hope to read more from Patrick Finegan in the future.

Cooperative Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one!! I do enjoy a great psychological read from time to time, and I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for the lovely and insightful review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:

Post by Meg98 »

gen_g wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 04:46 I'm glad you enjoyed this one!! I do enjoy a great psychological read from time to time, and I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for the lovely and insightful review!
Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This definitely sounds like a well-written story; however, I do not enjoy tear-jerking novels as they tend to leave me depressed. I really enjoyed reading your review, though. Thanks!
Meg98
Currently Reading:

Post by Meg98 »

Prisallen wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 20:44 This definitely sounds like a well-written story; however, I do not enjoy tear-jerking novels as they tend to leave me depressed. I really enjoyed reading your review, though. Thanks!

Totally understandable... thanks for stopping by!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

It sounds like an emotionally taxing story, but the engaging and psychologically rich characters should make the reading experience worthwhile. I'll definitely check this one out at some point. Thanks for the review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:

Post by Meg98 »

Tomah wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 22:00 It sounds like an emotionally taxing story, but the engaging and psychologically rich characters should make the reading experience worthwhile. I'll definitely check this one out at some point. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for commenting!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Hey!
I'm currently reading this book, and I like how you've captured the very essence of it. I can only hope my review will be nearly as good; yours is great.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I have read this book, and I enjoyed it as well. I'm glad you like it. What a fantastic review you have!
Meg98
Currently Reading:

Post by Meg98 »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 00:07 Hey!
I'm currently reading this book, and I like how you've captured the very essence of it. I can only hope my review will be nearly as good; yours is great.
Thank you for your kind words! I'm sure yours will be great as well :)
Meg98
Currently Reading:

Post by Meg98 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 04:49 I have read this book, and I enjoyed it as well. I'm glad you like it. What a fantastic review you have!
Thank you for the kind words!
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I'm not very interested in family dramas so I'm not sure I'd like this one personally, but your review is very intriguing. I love stories with several characters, each with their own personalities and subplots going on. Thanks for the great review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:

Post by Meg98 »

rumik wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 12:36 I'm not very interested in family dramas so I'm not sure I'd like this one personally, but your review is very intriguing. I love stories with several characters, each with their own personalities and subplots going on. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for commenting!
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

It seems a sad story at all, but trying to live on what is left. Friendship is great as I see.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I had thought at first that this book sounded a bit dull, but your review makes it sound much more enticing. I love books with lots of complicated interpersonal angst. Anne Tyler is one author who does those well. Thanks for a very helpful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”