Review by Megapede -- Invent, Innovate & Prosper

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Megapede
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megapede.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Review by Megapede -- Invent, Innovate & Prosper

Post by Megapede »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Invent, Innovate & Prosper" by Michael G. Colburn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his extremely well edited book Invent, Innovate, & Prosper, Michael G. Colburn explores the wide, deep, and wonderful world of inventing from its beginning to its end, further expanding upon the mindset of an inventor, the process of inventing, and the history of some of the greatest inventors ever to live. Using tales from great inventors all throughout our history he shows the process of inventing, the ideology that the greatest inventors in human history followed, their successes, their failures, and the lessons we should learn from them and use to invent and innovate a new future.

"You see things; and you say “Why?” But I dream things that never were; and I say “Why not?” – George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah." This quote encompasses the idea of why this book was written and viewing it within the first chapter brought me into the wonderful world of creativity that is an inventor's mind and showed me that imagination can be everywhere in life and doesn't just have to be within those who are part of the artistic or inventive sector of society.

There is so much great advice given in this book, as using 18 broad steps Colburn explores the process of inventing; from finding problems, gaining ideas, researching already existing solutions to inventing new ones, and takes you all the way into the commercialization and patenting process itself. He also takes us into the history of the greatest inventors in human history all the way from Nikola Tesla to Thomas Edison to Alexander Graham Bell whom he uses to teach us vastly different lessons in abundance.

Colburn shows that the processes he shows us in his book to gain new ideas for inventing can also be applied to our regular day to day lives. Processes such as accessing your creative brain, an extreme asset to the artistic sector of our society, all the way from storytellers to architects these processes help them accomplish their goals and dreams. He also explores the use of these processes in criminology as is shown by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes whom he uses as a prevalent example within this book.

If I were to give an honest opinion, this book was extremely well-written. I truly could not find anything I particularly disliked about it. This book would in my opinion be welcomed by most inventors, artists, and scientists who will find inspiration for their experiments and creations from the ideas and processes Colburn describes within these pages.

I believe that Mr. Colburn did an excellent job in expressing his ideas, his inspiration and his passion for invention and innovation throughout the pages of this book. As an inventor and innovator himself it's extremely wonderful that he took his time to show just how he gained inspiration and teaches that yours could be just around the very next corner. It is for this very reason that I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Overall it is an extraordinary tribute to humanities great capacity for invention and innovation.

Invent, Innovate & Prosper
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Forget everything that you think you know." - Doctor Strange

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”