Review by Karina Nowak -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Karina Nowak
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Review by Karina Nowak -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by Karina Nowak » 10 Sep 2019, 18:44

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surgeon’s Wife by William H. Coles is set within the high society landscape of New Orleans. In the book, we are introduced to several intertwining stories. There is Michael Boudreaux, chief of surgery at one of New Orleans largest hospitals. His mentor, Clayton Otherson, is one of the most popular surgeons on his ward, and is slowly losing his touch but refuses to accept help or step down. Clayton accuses Michael of not standing up for him, but Michael can only ignore attempts by the board to discipline his mentor for so long. Clayton's wife, Catherine, is also dealing with her deteriorating marriage and the consequences of leaving a union that her entire family fortune depends on to be with the man she loves. Each choice they make erodes the ties they have with each other to a catastrophic end.

From the moment I started reading this book, it felt like an episode of any popular medical drama. There was something very thought-provoking about this story and the sequence of events within it. I found myself going back to points in the story just to absorb the author’s writing style which was at times very blunt and gritty. The descriptions dealt deep into the soul of the characters without being overly emotional, but at the same time never lost its shock value.

Almost halfway through the mood of the book changed. It went from feeling like a primetime medical drama to an exploration of the human condition, and what people can do when they are hurting and lose all sense of purpose in their life. I did not expect the story to go in that direction and here is where the grittiness really came in, but it still captured my attention. I honestly never really lost interest while reading it.

In all, I really liked the flow of the story and how the author took time to tell smaller stories that eventually crossed over with the main characters. Other than the few surgeons who were mentioned in passing, there were hardly any idle supporting characters. Every character had their own arc, their own purpose, their own story that went ill or good according to their choices. I was able to chew on each of them, their beliefs and attempts at living their own life without being overshadowed by another character’s story.

I would suggest this book to anyone who enjoys dramatic, edgy novels with mild romance. I could see this book becoming a synopsis for a crime or medical drama or even a movie. It was straight forward enough, but still very engaging. There were a handful of spelling errors. So while I did like it, I would still give it 3 out of 4 stars. Even though honestly, without the errors, it could have easily gotten four.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 17 Sep 2019, 11:31

Small stories revolving with the theme story sounds interesting. This way people like us get to understand the characters better. Wonderful review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Coopers Law by Wendy Blundell

Post by Aniza Butt » 17 Sep 2019, 12:20

I read another book from the same author and it was quite interesting. I would pass this one as it isn't my type.
Thanks for the review ☺.
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~

Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:

Post by Karina Nowak » 18 Sep 2019, 20:12

Ekta Swarnkar wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 11:31
Small stories revolving with the theme story sounds interesting. This way people like us get to understand the characters better. Wonderful review!
Yes, exactly!

Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:

Post by Karina Nowak » 18 Sep 2019, 20:14

Aniza Butt wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 12:20
I read another book from the same author and it was quite interesting. I would pass this one as it isn't my type.
Thanks for the review ☺.
I'll look out for other books by the author as well. I hope I find them just as compelling.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”