Review by Wyland -- Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by Wyland -- Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

Post by Wyland » 07 Sep 2019, 11:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons" by Sam Brand.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life is unlike a marathon; it features a race of three animals—the ants, the chimps, and the dolphins—who all have different objectives in life. And not all of these animals are runners, anyway. As a matter of fact, chimps “don’t like sports” while, on the other hand, dolphins are “willing to try all sorts of sports,” not just running. That leaves us with the ants, which “keep doing the same exercise” (running), and far worse, “will invest all their energy in the wrong kind of runs.” This being said, that’s probably because the ant’s perspective in life “is less than an inch from the ground.”

Sam Brand employs imagery in this easy to read book Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons to impart some important life lessons to his readers. As a former “human ant,” who, therefore, understands the human ants’ pain, Brand waxes lyrical on the merits of becoming a “human dolphin.” Accordingly, each of the 25 chapters in the 199-page book extols a different quality of the human dolphin.

Besides, Brand’s punny headlines at the beginning of each chapter or mile, such as “Ants never stop unless they get run over. Better to be a dolphin,” are hard to resist—they’re funny, clever, and great advice all at the same time! Moreover, he uses a persuasive language that promises his readers a chance to be part of a group that they want to be in: “So, human dolphins and chimps’ readers: please show your human ant friends the way” (to avoid “food guilt”). In the end, it just boils down to the use of a good storytelling technique on the part of the author, which makes the pace of the book quite fast indeed.

My favorite chapter was Mile 17: “The World isn’t flat. Make sure you use all of it. Ants: you will love getting wet.” Herein, Brand encourages human ants “to stop running” and take the plunge to the sport of swimming instead. I felt the chapter was addressing me directly, as I don’t participate in any water sport activity currently. In his usual easy-going self, Brand recalls that first time he took to kayaking and donned a dolphin suit. Before long, he was paddling in deep water like a dolphin and liking it. Elsewhere, he talks about making one’s life an adventure, not work, and I guess the above description is now part of his idea of fun.

In the end, the themes of change, personality type, and pastime were handled quite effectively by Brand. Additionally, the editing was superb as I came across only a few errors made up of a wrongly phrased sentence, a noncapitalized abbreviation, a wrong form of a word, and a missing apostrophe. Though, I did notice a few unreferenced statistics quoted in the book; nonetheless, I didn’t penalize for this because I felt the work is informal and spontaneous. For this reason, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend it to the general reader who will find it an impressive and innovative way of discovering their personality type or embracing change. Even so, despite the cartoon characters featured on the book cover, the themes covered are adult in nature and not appropriate for children.

Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: The Starside Prophecy by Sarah Tirri

Post by Tomah » 08 Sep 2019, 13:46

I'm wary of unsourced claims, but overall, it sounds like a fun, light-hearted book with a positive core message: make your life an adventure, not work. It's definitely a necessary reminder in this chaotic, busy world. Thanks for the review!

Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland » 08 Sep 2019, 20:35

Tomah wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 13:46
I'm wary of unsourced claims, but overall, it sounds like a fun, light-hearted book with a positive core message: make your life an adventure, not work. It's definitely a necessary reminder in this chaotic, busy world. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your kind comments!

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 110
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Mezzanine by Susan Kay Anderson

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 09 Sep 2019, 06:02

It seems to be getting great reviews, this book. I don't usually like the self-help type of books, but I might give this one a go. Great review!

Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: Head Lines by Pheasant Orpen Reid & Susan Orpen

Post by Daniel_ » 10 Sep 2019, 00:10

This book sounds interesting. I love the idea of each chapter signifying each mile as covered by the runner. I'll love to read this book. Great review!

Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland » 10 Sep 2019, 06:23

Brendan Donaghy wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 06:02
It seems to be getting great reviews, this book. I don't usually like the self-help type of books, but I might give this one a go. Great review!
Thanks. I thought he had a unique take on the issue of personalities. Thanks for your kind comments.

Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland » 10 Sep 2019, 06:24

Daniel_ wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 00:10
This book sounds interesting. I love the idea of each chapter signifying each mile as covered by the runner. I'll love to read this book. Great review!
Yeah, sort of makes one to be fully in the mood of running marathons. Thanks for the kind comments.

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 10 Sep 2019, 12:34

It was the title actually that caught me, but the theme itself is another reason. Wonderful review!

Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland » 12 Sep 2019, 01:46

Ekta Swarnkar wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 12:34
It was the title actually that caught me, but the theme itself is another reason. Wonderful review!
Yeah, I agree, its quite a catch title and book cover. Thanks.

Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Areej Tahir » 12 Sep 2019, 05:05

I love the title and the cover of the book and this fact that this is about self-help makes it x10 better! thanks for your amazing review!

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by AntonelaMaria » 12 Sep 2019, 16:49

Like many others I thought this was a childerens book. Well, never judge a book by its cover. It sounds like a great premise. Good review.

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by corinaelena » 12 Sep 2019, 22:33

This book seems to be making quite an impact on this site! Great review, I love how you quoted the book. It made a very nice reference to the author's message.

Nivi Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Something in the Mirror by Doug Hall

Post by Nivi Gideon » 14 Sep 2019, 02:04

It's great to read your perspective on this book and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”