Review by maggi3 -- The Lost Identity Casualties

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Review by maggi3 -- The Lost Identity Casualties

Post by maggi3 » 05 Sep 2019, 21:43

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Matthias Callaghan wakes up from a coma, he has no idea where he is, who he is, or why he can’t move. The doctors are sympathetic, but they tell him nothing. As he pieces together his returning memories, he also has to confront the fact that he has a completely new face and is missing all of his fingers. Filled with rage, he decides to track down the people who he believes put him in that hospital and get his revenge.

The Lost Identity Casualties had me hooked from the beginning. The book is divided into dates rather than chapters, and it is split into two parts. Matthias is in the hospital recovering his memories and his body to a functional state for the first part, which is about half the book. This didn’t bother me, but it did mean that there was less action and more providing backstory in that section. Not all of the backstory will seem relevant at first, but it comes together as the story progresses. The second half is where readers will find the action-packed quest for revenge, where there is never a dull moment.

My main complaint with this story is that it’s a bit unrealistic. Matthias methodically plots out his plan for revenge, but I felt that the implementation was a bit too easy. If he wanted information, he got it. If he wanted someone dead, they died. Matthias is basically a vigilante, obsessed with punishing the people who contributed to his suffering in any way, and he went too far many times. In the sequel, I would like to see more of the consequences of his actions.

I also felt that there was a problem with the changing point of view. The reader would learn something important to Matthias and then switch to his point of view to watch him learn the same thing. This felt a bit repetitive at times.

This book was written using British English, so it was a bit hard for me to tell if it was professionally edited. For example, one line says, “‘You’ve been comatose for seven days’, he replies...” The comma seems to be in the wrong place, but it is correct for British English formatting. Still, I found numerous punctuation and formatting errors in the text.

For these reasons, I am giving The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar 3 out of 4 stars. I cannot give it the full four stars due to the errors I noticed, but I did thoroughly enjoy reading it. This book is a pretty straightforward tale of suffering and revenge. It is violent and twisted, yet fascinating. This is one you have to take for what it is.

I have to give a warning in this book for rape, murder, and torture. If any of those things bother you, definitely stay away from this one. I would recommend this story to adults who like dark themes or want to get into the mind of a man possessed by revenge. There is a definite psychological aspect to the book. Fans of crime shows would probably enjoy watching Matthias figure out who his attackers are and who specifically he should target. Lastly, The Lost Identity Casualties would be best for those who like a lot of backstory in their reading.

The Lost Identity Casualties
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 52
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Let Go Of Emotional Overeating and Love Your Food by Arlene B. Englander, LCSW,MBA
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 07 Sep 2019, 14:12

I've sampled this one and think it's a bit violent for me. I enjoyed your thoughtful review, though.

maggi3

Post by maggi3 » 07 Sep 2019, 14:52

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 14:12
I've sampled this one and think it's a bit violent for me. I enjoyed your thoughtful review, though.
That’s fair. I think it would be too violent for many people. Thanks for commenting!

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 16 Sep 2019, 11:40

I have seen many movies about face surgeries and their aftereffects. I found that the plot of the book is amazing, but too much violence is not my cup of tea. Thanks for this honest review!

maggi3

Post by maggi3 » 16 Sep 2019, 13:28

Ekta Swarnkar wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 11:40
I have seen many movies about face surgeries and their aftereffects. I found that the plot of the book is amazing, but too much violence is not my cup of tea. Thanks for this honest review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”