Review by AntonelaMaria -- Finding A Job in Tough Times

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Review by AntonelaMaria -- Finding A Job in Tough Times

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Finding A Job in Tough Times" by Dr. Tim Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson is not your typical novel or even a self-help book. This is a workbook that will take your time to dive into and hopefully make a difference in your life.

Dr. Tim Johnson wrote this book as a workbook, with over forty-eight exercises meant to outline the education, previous job experience, priorities, skills, abilities, and resume editing. It contains life wisdom but also practical tips on how to polish up a CV, establish your career objectives, and discover opportunities for practical training.

This workbook is time-consuming. So my only dislike of it is that I can’t fault her for it since I love that this is unlike any self-help book I have read. This is a read I want to devote more of my time, and I think I will only gain from it. It is a book that will require time and working on myself to provide results. There is no instant solution provided here. If you are not willing to do actual work in these exercises is best for you to skip this read.

“The plan is to make you the best person you can possibly be. This will not happen overnight.”

This is a textbook created to guide anyone in need of finding results for themselves. This book is for the people who will open this book up and seek to complete the exercises hoping the foundations outlined are valuable of following in their own lives and will make a difference in their job search results. It is a very teachable read.

The thing I liked the most about this book is the organization. This is a book that will give you a structured plan. I think we know ourselves the best just that sometimes we are afraid to take action or even say certain things aloud. All you need to do is follow along with these exercises and a notebook. You will need a notebook.

I would rate this book with three out of four stars. Mainly because there were some grammar mistakes as per the guidelines of this site, I can’t give it a perfect score. Otherwise, I found this to be a solid read. I would recommend this book to all school graduates, people thinking of switching careers, seeking promotion and recently unemployed. It is a read I will come back to and study more.

“Start Dreaming. Real goals start out as wishes.”

Finding A Job in Tough Times
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like that this book is well rounded in terms of bring up some life wisdom and the whole approach to creating an effective CV. Thanks for the insights.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Although I give the author kudos for creating such a well-organized workbook to help readers plan their course in finding a job, I do not think it is one I would have the patience to use. Thanks for the informational review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

It sounds like a practical guide to navigating the tough and confusing job market. The author seems to really know what he's talking about and manages to convey the information in a clear manner. That's more than I can say for most self-help authors out there. Thanks for the review!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I liked that the writer tried to deliver career tips with his own experiences. Nice review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like quite the involved self-help book! By your description, it sounds like it could be very beneficial to those trying to hone their working skills. Thanks for the lovely review!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Wyland wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 00:57 I like that this book is well rounded in terms of bring up some life wisdom and the whole approach to creating an effective CV. Thanks for the insights.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :tiphat:
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kelyn wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 19:13 Although I give the author kudos for creating such a well-organized workbook to help readers plan their course in finding a job, I do not think it is one I would have the patience to use. Thanks for the informational review!
Yes, this one definitely needs time to dive into and do exercises. Thank you!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Tomah wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 11:32 It sounds like a practical guide to navigating the tough and confusing job market. The author seems to really know what he's talking about and manages to convey the information in a clear manner. That's more than I can say for most self-help authors out there. Thanks for the review!
I really think this is what all self-help books should be. Thank you for reading!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 12:40 I liked that the writer tried to deliver career tips with his own experiences. Nice review!
Thank you! :tiphat:
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 15:09 This sounds like quite the involved self-help book! By your description, it sounds like it could be very beneficial to those trying to hone their working skills. Thanks for the lovely review!
Those are some examples of people to recommend it to. Thank you!
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

I'm interested in reading this book as it is educative and practical...
Great review!
Kabui-nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj »

This workbook is time-consuming. So my only dislike of it is that I can’t fault her for it since I love that this is unlike any self-help book I have read. This is a read I want to devote more of my time, and I think I will only gain from it. It is a book that will require time and working on myself to provide results. There is no instant solution provided here. If you are not willing to do actual work in these exercises is best for you to skip this read.
This is what i look for in a self-help book; something more than hype. Great review and will check out this book.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Daniel_ wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 00:54 I'm interested in reading this book as it is educative and practical...
Great review!
That is so good to hear. Thank you!!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kabui-nj wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 15:00
This is what i look for in a self-help book; something more than hype. Great review and will check out this book.
I agree we are most of the time bombarded with a lot of patronizing in self-help books. And then after we have read them we are waiting for some magical thing to happen just because we have read it. But here you have to do the work. Which is logical, of course. I recommend it. Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”