Review by Nuel Ukah -- Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Review by Nuel Ukah -- Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Nuel Ukah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Empowered" by Dominica Lumazar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Focusing time and energy on what our target audience actually wants, rather than what we might think they want, is key.
Empowered: The Business Owner’s Guide to Leadership & Success by Dominica Lumazar is a must-read for every business owner. The book is divided into three parts: Leading for Success, Business Value, and Business Clarity. There is also a bonus chapter. The book is so rich that I may not perfectly describe its contents in this book review. I wish I could sit under Dominica’s tutelage because I feel she has much to teach that she couldn’t pen down. You’d have to read this book yourself, and you’d feel empowered within a few chapters into the book.

What I like most about this book is how Dominica surmounted all stumbling blocks and became a successful businesswoman. Dominica had trouble learning in school. Her teachers and counselors talked her down. As if that was not enough, she had an accident at the age of 18 which affected her brain. She lost some memory of the little she struggled to learn and had to learn from the basics all over. Notwithstanding, she encouraged herself and said,
The accident ended up being one of the best things to ever happen to me. It forced me to do a major course correction in my personal life; without it, I wouldn’t be the woman I am today. I was determined to make sure the accident didn’t define who I was. I didn’t want to be a victim. I wanted to rise above my misfortune, push through the physical and mental pain, and keep going.
That is a true definition of determination. I began to wonder, “How could a young girl who has difficulty with education, with no support from anyone, be thinking of owning her business enterprise? What was driving her towards such enormous vision?”

Dominica, being eager to succeed, joined her sister, Franchesca, in her Love Bird Chocolate business. After a short while, Franchesca handed the business over to Dominica, and her journey to becoming an entrepreneur began. Dominica’s core keys to success were written in-between lines. One would have to pay close attention to details to see those core keys.

According to Dominica, the ultimate goal of your leadership role is empowering others. In this book, Dominica presents five simple leadership foundations that will keep you focused on empowering others. Her leadership styles are reasonable and applicable, somewhat similar to the leadership styles explained in Harvard Business Reviews’ On Managing People. Dominica opined, “There is not just one effective leadership style, but there are strategies and styles that are more effective than others.” Well, I somewhat agree, but I think that leadership style should be based on a contingency; not only based on the leader’s personality, and should not be a permanent style as what worked out fine today may not work out fine tomorrow. Different settings require different approaches.

I like the fact that Dominica was very realistic, and she added action steps at the end of each chapter with thought-provoking questions to help business owners comprehend and practicalize the principal keys in each chapter. I can’t pinpoint anything I like least about this book. All or most of the things she said were relatable. If you are aspiring to own a business, this is a perfect material to study and learn.

The author’s writing style was very descriptive, expository, and persuasive. The book’s pace was slow and well-developed. Each chapter was engaging with action steps. Unfortunately, I found several errors, over twenty. There were comma splices, missing determiner, missing spaces, missing apostrophes, missing commas, missing prepositions, etc. It hurts me to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really wish I could give it 4 stars because it’s worth 4 stars, even more than 4 stars. The knowledge in this book is powerful enough to transform business enterprises and individuals positively. I strongly recommend this book to business owners, employees, and those who would like to own a business.

PS: The errors aforementioned do not distract the reader nor diminish the contents of this book. I only mentioned them for the purpose of this book review. So, go ahead, grab a copy and learn how to be Empowered, and how to empower others.
When we put our own gains aside and focus on how to help our customers first, that’s when everyone wins.
Empowered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The author's story is amazing and inspiring. I definitely believe in inspiring others, but I think the leadership style shouldn't be based only on the leader but also on the traits of the people being led and the purpose of the enterprise.
Hopefully, the editing mistakes will get fixed. Thank you!
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

The review is enticing and inviting.Who doesnt want to be encouraged or inspired?Am already absorbed in this read, hope I get the chance.Congratulations.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

I loved reading this review. You definitely have a way in holding the reader's attention. Thank you for that. Even with all the errors I would certainly read this book. It sounds like the right amount of inspiration and push to determination I need right now.
Steven Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steven-samuel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Steven Samuel »

Wow! Dominica obviously went through a lot and I am genuinely interested in finding out how she overcame her obstacles. Nice review.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

This book is amazing. I gave it 4 stars. Dominica Lumazar is a great example for everybody.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Nuel Ukah
Currently Reading:

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Lunastella wrote: 05 Sep 2019, 18:27 The author's story is amazing and inspiring. I definitely believe in inspiring others, but I think the leadership style shouldn't be based only on the leader but also on the traits of the people being led and the purpose of the enterprise.
Hopefully, the editing mistakes will get fixed. Thank you!
Hmmmm. Nice thought on leadership style, Luna. You sound like a businesswoman. ☺ Thanks for your constructive comment.
Nuel Ukah
Currently Reading:

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Florence Nalianya wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 00:33 The review is enticing and inviting.Who doesnt want to be encouraged or inspired?Am already absorbed in this read, hope I get the chance.Congratulations.
Thanks for your sweet comment, Florence. Yes, you'd love this book.
Nuel Ukah
Currently Reading:

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 01:26 I loved reading this review. You definitely have a way in holding the reader's attention. Thank you for that. Even with all the errors I would certainly read this book. It sounds like the right amount of inspiration and push to determination I need right now.
Thanks for your candid comment, Ronel. When you read this book, you'd get loaded with lots of motivation to push you.
Nuel Ukah
Currently Reading:

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Steven Samuel wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 06:16 Wow! Dominica obviously went through a lot and I am genuinely interested in finding out how she overcame her obstacles. Nice review.
Thanks, Steven. Indeed, she went through a lot. How she overcame those challenges made me realize that no one has an excuse to not succeed.
Nuel Ukah
Currently Reading:

Post by Nuel Ukah »

LinaMueller wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 06:26 This book is amazing. I gave it 4 stars. Dominica Lumazar is a great example for everybody.
Yes, it's a very amazing book. It deserves more than 4 stars, though. I could give it a 4 star because of the errors. I felt bad. However, Dominica is a perfect role model in this generation. Thanks for your comment.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Not so long ago I read and reviewed this book. I can't agree enough because you said it all. Enchanting review!
Books are beautiful.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

The review is of fine quality and informative. This book is really an inspiration for anyone. I wish I get a chance to read this book. I know I'll learn a lot. Thanks for the inspiring me.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nuel Ukah
Currently Reading:

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Bles wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 08:42 Not so long ago I read and reviewed this book. I can't agree enough because you said it all. Enchanting review!
Thank you kindly.
Nuel Ukah
Currently Reading:

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 11:48 The review is of fine quality and informative. This book is really an inspiration for anyone. I wish I get a chance to read this book. I know I'll learn a lot. Thanks for the inspiring me.
Thank you, dear friend.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”