Review by Michelle Fred -- Lost and Love: Thailand (Book...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Review by Michelle Fred -- Lost and Love: Thailand (Book...

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series)" by Stella Knights.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Savannah works for an insurance company as a call centre agent; a job she hates. Her work hours are spent solving the insurance problems of rude, insufferable customers. The only thing going well in her life of late is her marriage to her husband, Johnny, even that has become bland. While taking a break in her company’s coffee room, a poster of a beach in Thailand caught her attention; it reminded her of her childhood dream to visit Thailand. She suggested a Thailand vacation to her husband to bring back the spark in their marriage. At first, he kicked against it, but he gave in due course. While in Thailand, Johnny lets Savannah in on a fantasy he has always had. He affirmed that Thailand is the best place to fulfil it. After a little hesitation, Savannah went along with it. The unexpected outcome changed the dynamics of their marriage forever.

Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) written by Stella Knights, is an adult novel in the romance genre. The protagonist, Savannah, seemed discontent in her marriage; she believes her husband puts everyone but her first. For some reason I don't understand, she didn't share this feeling with him.

Johnny's character is depicted as self-centred, but his behaviour was anything but. He wasn't perfect, but he cared about his wife's happiness; he sought her opinion on issues and treated her with consideration and respect. I tried, but I didn’t understand why she feared to talk to him. Even when she felt her mother-in-law was intruding on their marriage, she felt more comfortable complaining about it to her friend, Pam than her husband.

The book has a lot of likeable characters, though. One of such characters is Savannah's friend, Pam. She is a working mom of two little kids with a "couch lump" for a husband. Despite all she has going on in her personal life, she still finds time to be there for her friend, Savannah. Zander's character is a little too banal for my taste, but aunt Judy is a sweetheart; she never misses an opportunity to show gratitude.

Despite the book’s excellent plot execution, I found it lacking in substance. It is one of those books the author strives to make the female character seem like an angel regardless of her flaws. Besides some weird sounding phrases, the editing is clean.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't give it a lower rating because of the author's writing style. Part of the story took place in Thailand; I appreciated the author's portrayal of the landmarks, Thai food, and friendly people. She even added a list of recommended places to stay, restaurants to try, and things to do while in Thailand.

The book is best suited to fans of romance novels with an unusual twist. However, there are lurid depictions of intimate activity. If you prefer books with little or no sexual content, you might want to look elsewhere. While you await the second book in this series, enjoy the teaser of her new book at the end of this one.

Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I've been to Thailand but failed to visit the beaches. Perhaps the book will bring me there again. I am not too fond of intimate scenes, but I love Thai cuisine. So I have to think hard about this trip, LOL! Thanks for the lovely review.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Great review!
Michelle Fred wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 16:56
Johnny's character is depicted as self-centred, but his behaviour was anything but. He wasn't perfect, but he cared about his wife's happiness; he sought her opinion on issues and treated her with consideration and respect. I tried, but I didn’t understand why she feared to talk to him.
I've read a few reviews on this book and I think this might be the first time I've seen someone cut Johnny some slack. I've always wondered if he was really as bad as he seemed or if he was one of those characters that only seemed bad because the author and/or narrator kept insisting he was.

Michelle Fred wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 16:56 Despite the book’s excellent plot execution, I found it lacking in substance. It is one of those books the author strives to make the female character seem like an angel regardless of her flaws.

I find this to be a problem in a lot of romance books. While I give the author props for giving her flaws, it doesn't sound like they were done well. It always irks me when the protagonist's flaws are glossed over. (Hopefully, they were better flaws than the typical, "she was so clumsy".)
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Mallory Whitaker wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 11:37 Great review!
Johnny's character is depicted as self-centred, but his behaviour was anything but. He wasn't perfect, but he cared about his wife's happiness; he sought her opinion on issues and treated her with consideration and respect. I tried, but I didn’t understand why she feared to talk to him.
I've read a few reviews on this book and I think this might be the first time I've seen someone cut Johnny some slack. I've always wondered if he was really as bad as he seemed or if he was one of those characters that only seemed bad because the author and/or narrator kept insisting he was.

Michelle Fred wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 16:56 Despite the book’s excellent plot execution, I found it lacking in substance. It is one of those books the author strives to make the female character seem like an angel regardless of her flaws.

I find this to be a problem in a lot of romance books. While I give the author props for giving her flaws, it doesn't sound like they were done well. It always irks me when the protagonist's flaws are glossed over. (Hopefully, they were better flaws than the typical, "she was so clumsy".)
He wasn't faultless, but he took steps to improve on the behaviours his wife complains about. I'm a big fan of honest and open communication in relationships; I didn't like that he was blamed for everything wrong with their marriage. I think the author went out of her way to make him a villain. Thank you so much for your comment.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 10:00 I've been to Thailand but failed to visit the beaches. Perhaps the book will bring me there again. I am not too fond of intimate scenes, but I love Thai cuisine. So I have to think hard about this trip, LOL! Thanks for the lovely review.
I appreciate your comment, thanks a lot.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

" Despite the book’s excellent plot execution, I found it lacking in substance. It is one of those books the author strives to make the female character seem like an angel regardless of her flaws. "

I agree completely. I have read this book too. And had a similar reading experience.
Great review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

The descriptions of the Thai setting would appeal to me, and maybe the intimate scenes if they are well done. Thanks for your insightful review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I'm not a fan of novels in the genre, but the descriptions of Thailand do interest me, and I enjoy stories dealing with complicated relationships. Thanks for the review!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

While reading the book, I also found her to be incredibly...unreasonable at first. While her husband was struggling to pay off their debt, she kept complaining about wanting to go on luxurious vacations. With that being said, by the end of the book I was ENRAGED with the husband! I also hated the way she kept underestimating herself, especially when it came to her looks. That being said, I do believe the book delivers what it promises. For people looking to read an erotic novel with a romantic twist, it is a really good fit. I would have personally preferred it if she wasn't married, and if she wasn't so gullible, falling for every word the "new guy" told her. Great review!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Michelle Fred wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 14:59
Mallory Whitaker wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 11:37 Great review!

He wasn't faultless, but he took steps to improve on the behaviours his wife complains about. I'm a big fan of honest and open communication in relationships; I didn't like that he was blamed for everything wrong with their marriage. I think the author went out of her way to make him a villain. Thank you so much for your comment.
I think she wanted him to be this horrible villain so our angelic protagonist would have an excuse to basically cheat (especially in that scene the morning after, in the bathroom). It reminds me of a moment in How I Met Your Mother(does anyone else watch this show?) where Marshall has to first imagine his wife's death in order to be able to fantasize about somebody else. I guess the author never really wanted to work hard on the plot- she just wanted a quick way to make intimate relations outside of marriage seem ok to the readers. What is easier than villainizing the husband?
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Savannah sounds like a very confused, complicated character. I'm sure that would make for a great opportunity for the development of other characters. I really enjoyed your review! Great job!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the steps Savannah takes to bring the sparkle in marriage. I will also like to read on their vacation in Thailand and Savannah's husband's fantasy. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 13:51 The descriptions of the Thai setting would appeal to me, and maybe the intimate scenes if they are well done. Thanks for your insightful review.
The Thai scenes were my favorite aspect of the book, but the intimate scenes are super explicit. Thanks for your comment.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Wyland wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 00:00 I like the steps Savannah takes to bring the sparkle in marriage. I will also like to read on their vacation in Thailand and Savannah's husband's fantasy. Thanks for the wonderful review.
She was very proactive about restoring the spark in their marriage, but I believe they are unspoken boundaries a married person shouldn't cross. Thanks for reading and commenting on my review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Loved your review! I agree, the author did seem to gloss over Savannah's flaws; It was as if she could do no wrong.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”