Review by GHOSTFRIEND -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GHOSTFRIEND
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghostfriend.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by GHOSTFRIEND -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by GHOSTFRIEND »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles deals largely on human nature. It is a short read but it doesn't fail to impress you with a well-written story.

The story starts with a sense of urgency. We see that something has gone wrong in the operation theatre and Mike Boudreaux, the chief of service has been rushed in to take charge of the situation. In the next scene, we learn that Clayton Otherson, a surgeon had made a mistake during the surgery. Clayton is known to be one of the best bariatric surgeons but lately, he has been making some mistakes. His colleagues from the operating room filed the incident report and Mike has to make a decision whether to allow him to continue providing his service or follow the right path and label him as impaired.

Clayton Otherson was Mike's mentor and he has a lot of respect for him. In this situation of dilemma, what will Mike decide? How does his decision affect his life in the future?

The story is really intriguing and the author has made really good use of every single page to present to us a power-packed short story. I liked how the characters were made to suit each other. As I have mentioned earlier that this book largely deals on human behaviour and we all know human behaviour is very much unpredictable. The author, however, seems to have a very good understanding of human behaviour because the ways his characters behave in several situations are believable and not at all questionable. We see how Mike is in a dilemma and tries to figure out what to do. Also, we see other members of the hospital are more worried about money than about patients life. These are all normal behaviour and the author has banked on them to delight the readers. The character development is definitely my favourite part of the book.

The title of this book and the book cover doesn't really match. That's what forced me to choose to read this book. Having read it, I must say that I was impressed as to how the cover picture and the plot blended in perfectly.

This is not a fast-paced book but it advances at a brisk pace. This book is flawless and I didn't find anything that I could dislike in it. I'll rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I'll suggest this book to people who are interested in human psychology. People close to the medical sector can also read this book. However, if you are looking for a light read, this isn't the book to read. I found only 2 errors in the book. I enjoyed reading this book and I hope you'll enjoy it too.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”