Review by Brea_21 -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brea_21
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brea-21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400698987

Review by Brea_21 -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

Post by Brea_21 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Girl Who Knew DaVinci by Belle Ami was an intriguing thriller that draws the reader into the chaos of the characters. The author takes the reader on a journey beginning in Los Angeles, California then heading to Italy where the story continues. The reader is jumped back and forth between present and past time following the past lives of both Angela Renatus, Art Historian, and Alex Caine, Art Detective. Angela begins her career at an internship at the Getty Museum working for a perverted boss who is constantly making advances. Alex is brought to Los Angeles, California to investigate the lost painting of Leonardo DaVinci. Unknown to Angela and Alex, their lives were about to become intertwined. Angela endures flashbacks that leads both her and Alex on an adventure of a lifetime to find the lost painting.

The Girl Who Knew DaVinvi keeps the reader engaged and wanting to know what is coming next. The mystery is unique, and I found myself clueless as to where the story will go. There was a right amount of thrill and unexpected turns which allowed it to have a good plot as a thriller. There were many areas in the book that allowed the reader to learn about art in relation to Italian Artists. It was clear that the author has a wide knowledge of art and Italian history. This aspect allowed the book to become a source of learning along with a source of pleasure.

The one aspect of the story that I disliked the most was the lack of proper transitions as the story unfolds. It begins with an accurate amount of description to help the reader understand the plot but as the story progresses the description becomes minimal. I found myself struggling with following where the story was heading in terms of character relationships. There was a lack in proper transitions to help the reader become aware of change. It appeared that on one page a relationship would be friend based and the next page a romantic relationship was developed. It could have been easier to follow if a description about the change of feelings between characters were laid out before the change occurred.

I would rate this book a 2 out of 4 based on the many editing mistakes and lack of transitions. The book had many areas in which commas were overused. This caused me to re-read sentences to get a better understanding about what the author meant regarding the tone and thoughts of the paragraph. The lack of transitions made it hard for me to follow change in relationships and where the change happened. It would have been easier to understand if more description was given. I would suggest adult readers only due to sexual content and mentions of violence. These topics do not seem appropriate for a young reading population. Adults that enjoy romance and thrills would relate to this book best

The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”