Review by Mbrooks2518 -- Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Review by Mbrooks2518 -- Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons" by Sam Brand.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons: 26.2 loving thoughts on why you should not run a marathon by Sam Brand, people are categorized as human ants, human dolphins, and human chimpanzees. Human ants are focused on long distance running and training for marathons. Human dolphins are athletic and like to do all types of sports while also spending a lot of time with friends and family. Human chimpanzees do not like sports and prefer to socialize with others. In the book, Brand describes his time as a human ant runner and running in the New York Marathon. However, after that marathon, he realized that he was not happy as an ant and decided to become a dolphin.

The book’s message is that people should spend their time on the important things: being with friends and family, doing things that make them happy, and just enjoying life. While the book is focused on long distance running, this message applies to other things, like working long hours.

While the book is focused on a serious topic, the author was able to write it with a lighter tone, which kept the book enjoyable. The book is also on the shorter side. It has 1293 Kindle locations, and most of the pages only have a couple of sentences. The lighter tone and the shorter length make this a great book to read while on a trip.

I do have a bit of criticism though. The author used multiple statistics about the health benefits and detriments of various exercises. However, he does not note where he got his statistics from. If he had, it would have strengthened his case, particularly for avid long distance runners that read the book. Another problem I had is that I do not see myself as any of the animals, so I couldn’t really picture myself in the situations the author described.

The book also needs another round of editing. I found over twenty editing errors, mostly missing commas. Given the length of the book, this is far more than is acceptable.

Overall, I liked the book, and I thought it was an interesting read. Keeping in mind the couple of issues I had with it and the editing mistakes, I decided to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who is thinking about running marathons or getting into long distance running, but I think even someone who has never considered long distance running would enjoy this book.

Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I have read several reviews of this book and in the past have always been confused about the point of it. Why does the author seem to look down on marathon runners? Your explanation is the clearest I've seen. I still don't really get the point of categorizing people as different types of animals and don't think this book is for me, but it sounds like there are some positive themes about "following your bliss" to be found here. Great review!
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

The book’s message is that people should spend their time on the important things: being with friends and family, doing things that make them happy, and just enjoying life. While the book is focused on long distance running, this message applies to other things, like working long hours.
I like how the metaphor extends beyond athletic pursuits! I agree with unamilagra, I don't really understand what the point of categorising humans into three types really is (in this context, at least).

Thanks for this review, Mrbrooks2518!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I'm wary of unsourced claims, but I can sympathize with the book's overall message. Anything can become detrimental when you sacrifice everything else to do it. Moderation is the key. Thanks for the review!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

unamilagra wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 18:09 I have read several reviews of this book and in the past have always been confused about the point of it. Why does the author seem to look down on marathon runners? Your explanation is the clearest I've seen. I still don't really get the point of categorizing people as different types of animals and don't think this book is for me, but it sounds like there are some positive themes about "following your bliss" to be found here. Great review!
I read this one out of curiosity and just for fun. To me, it seemed like he was mocking his obsession with running and how it took his focus away from his family and enjoying life. He uses very broad generalizations of people (kinda like Goldilocks and the three bears): ants work too hard, chimps work too little, and Dolphins have the right balance of work and play. (if that helps lol)
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I questioned the lack of sources for his stats in this book too, but since it seemed like he was just focused on helping people lighten up a bit about exercise obsession it didn't bother me too much. I enjoyed your review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

unamilagra wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 18:09 I have read several reviews of this book and in the past have always been confused about the point of it. Why does the author seem to look down on marathon runners? Your explanation is the clearest I've seen. I still don't really get the point of categorizing people as different types of animals and don't think this book is for me, but it sounds like there are some positive themes about "following your bliss" to be found here. Great review!
Glad my review helped. I think the animal categories might have been meant to help keep the book light and entertaining.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Last edited by Mbrooks2518 on 24 Aug 2019, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

nooregano wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 00:43 I like how the metaphor extends beyond athletic pursuits! I agree with unamilagra, I don't really understand what the point of categorising humans into three types really is (in this context, at least).

Thanks for this review, Mrbrooks2518!
I think the animal categories might have been meant to help keep the book light end entertaining.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Tomah wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 07:51 I'm wary of unsourced claims, but I can sympathize with the book's overall message. Anything can become detrimental when you sacrifice everything else to do it. Moderation is the key. Thanks for the review!
I agree! Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 17:42 I questioned the lack of sources for his stats in this book too, but since it seemed like he was just focused on helping people lighten up a bit about exercise obsession it didn't bother me too much. I enjoyed your review!
It didn't bother me too much either, but I felt like I had to mention it.
I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Hmmm....tight focus, athletic or social...none of that sounds like me. I wonder what animal I am then? Still, it seems like a book with a good message, just not my cup of tea, though. Thanks for the review
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Kelyn wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 17:40 Hmmm....tight focus, athletic or social...none of that sounds like me. I wonder what animal I am then? Still, it seems like a book with a good message, just not my cup of tea, though. Thanks for the review
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

The book appears to help people focus on what is important in life. thanks for the wonderful review.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

This book is very different and sounds a bit interesting. But at the same time, someone who isn't interested in marathons (like me) may not enjoy this. However, your review was very comprehensive and well-written! thank you for it
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Wyland wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 08:29 The book appears to help people focus on what is important in life. thanks for the wonderful review.
Areej Tahir wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 06:43 This book is very different and sounds a bit interesting. But at the same time, someone who isn't interested in marathons (like me) may not enjoy this. However, your review was very comprehensive and well-written! thank you for it

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”