Review by KCWolf -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KCWolf
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Freddie Mercury
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Review by KCWolf -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by KCWolf » 16 Aug 2019, 15:45

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I really enjoyed the audible edition of The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid. At times, I found myself smiling while listening to this marvelous story. The narration by B.J. Harrison really helped me to visualize the story in my mind as if I were watching a film. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I believe that fantasy readers of all ages would enjoy this multifaceted tale; especially fans of J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, and C.S. Lewis. It contains no profane language or graphic violence. Since this is a tale geared towards young readers, there are no erotic scenes.

To summarize this story, Will Cleary and his twin sister Emmy disappeared at the age of two. Will returns to his parents with the help of his two guardians, Damian and a De’a. But, Emmy remains missing. Ten years later, twelve-year-old Will returns to Echoland to free his sister and learns of his destiny—as well as his own personal link to the Prince of Echoland. Despite the ever-looming threat of the gruesome fate sealers, they must embark on a journey together to resolve the mystery of the King’s death.

What I liked most was the beautiful, descriptive passages of Echoland. Dew Pellucid’s world-building is on par with J.R.R. Tolkien. In addition to the excellent world-building, character development is fantastic and intriguing. I loved all the characters that Will encountered in Echoland. Each character seemed to be surrounded by mystery. The orphanage reminds me of Hogwarts from the Harry Potter series. At first, I was thrown by the insertion of the author’s pen name for one of the characters, but then I began to understand Dew Pellucid’s vision and how that character fits into the world she created. I like the subtle touches of humor, for instance when the character Drinkwater is referred to as “Doctor Frankenstein.” I also liked the unique mythology and magic in the realm of Echoland.

What I disliked most was that it referred to spiders as insects, when they are actually arachnids. But maybe that’s just my own personal bugaboo (no pun intended).

As I listened to the audible edition of the story, I did not detect any grammatical errors in the narration. There was nothing that pulled me out of the story. In fact, it was intriguing from start to finish.

I recommend The Crystilleries of Echoland to fantasy readers of all ages, and I would love to read other books by this author.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Redemption Trails.

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Life's Harsh Reality by Patrick L Washington

Post by esp1975 » 20 Sep 2019, 14:48

I also really enjoyed the audio version of this book. I thought Harrison did a really good job keeping the characters identifiable.

AKShanmar12
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by AKShanmar12 » 20 Sep 2019, 19:26

I reviewed this as well but had a difficult time following it. With all the glowing reviews, I am starting to think that it was just me! Maybe if I had listened to it, I would have fared a little better. This is a well-written review, bugaboo included!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Mr Benji
2019 Reading Goal: 59
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Mr Benji » 27 Sep 2019, 09:31

The Crystellies of Echoland has proved to be an interesting book.

Interestingly, it has been likened to the art of "watching a film." Although the book is in audio version, it has earned such an amazing 4 stars.

Thank you for this review.

djr6090
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 117
Favorite Book: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by djr6090 » 27 Sep 2019, 11:05

I reviewed this book too. And I found the print version had a serious plus in that the author teamed up with Andy Simmons, a digital artist of some renown, to portray some of the characters in the book. The illustrations gave it a really eerie tone.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”