Review by mariana90 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Review by mariana90 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by mariana90 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a children’s book written and illustrated by Len Foley. In this short story, Sigfried enumerates all the different smelly items you can find in his book, from food to diapers to the titular socks, among other stinking things.

What I really liked about this book are the illustrations: they are endearing and eye-catching. Kids will definitely be drawn towards them, and some adults as well (guilty party here). The colors are vivid and the combination of drawing and photography is very interesting. Another thing I really appreciated is the rhyming: it adds cadence and musicality, two valued qualities when reading to children in bed.

This little book also has an educational component, especially for children strengthening their reading skills. It’s easy to read, the font is clear and the pictures illustrate what the words say, helping the children along. The aforementioned rhyming helps kids with their pronunciation.

The only qualm I had about this book is in regards to some of the nasty items listed by Sigfried. I understand that kids like to laugh about foul things such as pee and soiled diapers, but to an adult they are less appealing. In the end, Sigfried decides to wash his smelly socks, but he does it inside the toilet. I guess his heart was in the right place, but his hygiene leaves a lot to be desired.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is exceptionally well edited and the pictures are very attractive to children (and adults). I took away a star over some rhymes I thought could have been better and some items I found a bit too disgusting, but overall it is a really good book for children learning to read. However, parents should make a note of commenting on Sigfried’s sanitary habits, just in case the kids feel compelled to imitate him.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”