Review by ciecheesemeister -- Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review by ciecheesemeister -- Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Empowered" by Dominica Lumazar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The following is my review of Empowered: The Business Owner’s Guide to Leadership and Success by Dominica Lumazar.

To be honest, when I accepted the request to review this book, I expected either a cut-and-dry list of steps which entrepreneurs could take to build their business, or a Tony Robbins style positive thinking cheerleader script with invitations to sign up for seminars conducted by the author and/or links to purchase more of the author’s products. I was pleasantly surprised when Ms. Lumazar proved me wrong.

Ms. Lumazar’s writing style is informal and friendly. She puts the reader at ease from the start. She is candid, informing the reader of her own challenges and stumbling blocks along the way. Rather than putting the reader on the defensive by appearing overly authoritative, she gives the impression of being the sort of consultant that a struggling business owner could confide in and expect practical, honest advice combined with encouragement and education. While she does provide links to bonus material and to her consulting company, Sweet D Marketing, she does so unobtrusively. Clearly, the main purpose of the book is to educate readers rather than to sell services.

Empowered: The Business Owner’s Guide to Leadership and Success is written for small business owners who have a staff. However, it could also be utilized by managers and supervisors working for any organization. The suggestions for encouraging support staff to participate in the growth and development of the business are constructive and practical. Anyone responsible for managing staff, whether a business owner or supervisory employee, can benefit from the recommendations found in this book.

Although the book is not written for freelancers or sole proprietors, such entrepreneurs can also benefit from much of the advice. As a freelancer, I found myself highlighting multiple passages, and feel that anyone in business for themselves will benefit from Ms. Lumazar’s advice. Even someone primarily responsible for running a household, whether as a homemaker or as an employee, will find suggestions to make their daily operation run more smoothly.

This is not the right book for someone primarily interested in the bottom line, whose main motivation is becoming a celebrity or tycoon regardless of what they must do to achieve that goal. This is a mindful guide for thoughtful entrepreneurs who are passionate about their chosen field or product and who wish to communicate more effectively with their staff and potential customers.

I rate Empowered: The Business Owner’s Guide to Leadership and Success four out of four stars. There were a few minor errors in the text, including the misspelling of the name of a major corporation. Nonetheless, the overall quality of the book was solid enough that I feel it deserves the highest rating.

Empowered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

This is nicely done. I completely agree with your take on it, having recently read the book myself. I really liked the author's "voice" and felt she did a great job in conveying the information found therein. Thank you for this lovely review.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I am currently reading Empowered, and I am pleasantly surprised about how much I can take away from this book. It’s simple, straight forward advice that doesn’t seem impossible to incorporate into your life. Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed the read!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I'm not a business person but I'm sure for it will be helpful for people into money making ventures. The book seems to be informative. Thank you for your insightful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”