Review by Ellylion -- The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern R...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Review by Ellylion -- The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern R...

Post by Ellylion » 07 Aug 2019, 09:53

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance" by Morris Rollins.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins is a book that offers satirical advises to men the author calls "modern eunuchs" about treating women in a right in his opinion way. The author lists women according to some types. Among them, there are Nice Girls, Bad Girls, Blondes, Fat Women, Ugly Women, Nymphomaniacs, and Femme Nazis. And the list goes on. Men's types, by the author, include Cavemen, Nice, Tough, Sharp, and Smooth Guys.

The author researches the situation of men and women in the modern society and civilization, offering at the same time an excursion to the past historical times including the Stone Age and even Biblical times. He addresses the psychology of the both genders, noting what, according to him, is the most important for them as they build relationships and, relying on the mentioned above data, offers men advises about how to conquer women. In my honest opinion, many of them are, at best, questionable. For example, meeting a Bad Girl "Talk like money is everything". I also want to believe that the statement "Test her with bad treatment" regarding to a Bad Girl as well is of exclusively figurative nature.

I disliked most about the book the excessive number of clichés, overuse of stereotypes, and labeling both men and women. For example, there is such a unique conclusion as follows: "Fat women are good cooks". What exactly made the author state it is a total and obscure mystery at least to me.

The only thing I liked about this book was a couple of chuckles it managed to give me as I was reading it.

I recommend this book to lovers of satire and psychological researches who do not get offended too easily. If you tend to take it all to heart, this book is not for you. It is also absolutely not for a young audience, despite the author addresses it in the chapter about Catholic Girls. The book has profanity language and sexual slang expressions along with illustrations of sexual content. This is why I recommend a sensitive reader to refrain from reading it. Also, and I want to make it absolutely clear, this book is not for those really looking for some useful handy information and advises about building successful healthy romantic relationships with the opposite gender.

Even though this book was professionally edited, and I did not find any grammatical or punctuation errors as I was reading, I give it 2 out of 4 stars. The book may seem more offensive and irrelevant than amusing and educational to a big enough audience of potential readers. Also, I would not say that it was written in accessible language.

But I still would not recommend taking this book too seriously. It is just a satire. At least I hope so.

The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Mighty Mary by Tony Scaringe

Post by Tomah » 09 Aug 2019, 15:26

Yeah, I'll probably skip this one. I don't mind satirical books, even offensive ones, as long as they have a point. This one sounds more like it's offensive for the sake of it. A few chuckles here and there don't really justify all the clichés and stereotypes, in my opinion. Still, thanks for the review!

sarahmarlowe
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: Klytië
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: Poor Pepe by Michael Marion Sharpe
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe » 12 Aug 2019, 12:15

This book. Wow. I read it a while ago, and I saw it the same way you did: hoping it was satire. It wasn't one I enjoyed. However, I enjoyed your thorough review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Unlocking the Pathway to True Love
Bookshelf Size: 780
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from Time, (American Edition) by Biju Vasudevan

Post by Kibetious » 14 Aug 2019, 11:52

This sounds like an interesting read that is informative as well. Thanks a lot for the review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The 36 Watchers, by Dan Bar Hava

Post by Prisallen » 17 Aug 2019, 08:41

I don't think I am thick skinned enough to enjoy reading this book. Therefore, I am going to skip it. Thanks for a wonderful review, though!

Wanjugush
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: The Neigbour At Number 18 (Reload)
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: It's Time to Align by Allen Lottinger

Post by Wanjugush » 17 Aug 2019, 13:35

I found the book too misogynistic and was somehow offended. Great review though.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”