Review by starkpages -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
starkpages
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starkpages.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by starkpages -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by starkpages »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is an autobiography of Jorge P. Newbery, a man who not solely is a role model to look up to but also a person who never failed to prove the beauty of humanity. This 244-page novel traverses the author’s burn zones in his life and how he conquered them to stand up stronger. It contains ten chapters with which his story unfolded chronologically. From reading the book, I was able to connect with Mr. Newbery who characterized himself as shy and introvert. Nonetheless, I can say that this did not cease him from achieving what his heart coveted. At the age of seven, he started earning already by employing himself as a newspaper boy. As he grew older, he never stopped. He became an ice cream vendor, a busboy, soon then became a record media mogul, and up to being a real-estate magnate that yielded the main challenge of his life which propelled him to write this book.

I regard this book as inspirational what with how the author recounted his story. From the first pages of this autobiography, we can see that he possesses the mind of an entrepreneur. Not just an entrepreneur he is, but Mr. Newbery is also an excellent and strategic one. Opting out from college, he pursued what he desired. He did not just do it out of a whim to accumulate money, but he ventured to a lot of businesses because he cared – something that we found lacking on most business people. In his later years, he renovated a multitude of buildings like apartments and hotels. He took transforming these areas as a challenge, turning it the other way around with his will and compassion. Altogether, I was enamored with how this inspirational memoir made me, and possibly the other readers ponder upon things. How the author kept on standing back up after the series of setbacks he had to get through will never fail to empower the audience. His soulful attitude also set an example for the ambitious minds to never forsake the kindness of our hearts in the way of our goals.

I guess what I merely did not enjoy in this autobiography are the real-estate technical terms that kept on popping up in the book. This made my reading journey a little bit murky. This is to say that the writing style of the author could be improved which would cater to an even broader spectrum of readers.

Taking everything into consideration, I am rating this book three out of four stars. I deducted one star owing to the factor of noticing one grammatical error repeated more than once in a chapter. Other than that, the book was well-edited.

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands will appeal to readers who love reading non-fictions occasionally like me. This is not a self-help book but this novel is also perfect if you are going through something and need something to lift your spirits. Suitable for young adults and adults alike, this autobiography will surely inspire and push you to do what you love and love what you do.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”