Review by Rosh_360 -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosh_360
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosh-360.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Review by Rosh_360 -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Rosh_360 » 25 Jul 2019, 09:28

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I felt this book was weaved together in an amazing way. While it starts off in a slow manner, it gradually picks up speed at the ending of the first part and with the second part of the story. According to me, this book has been set in a modern and changing world.
It gives us an insight into the lives of a young lawyer named Lucy, her family and how her life unfolds after she meets Luke, an aspiring doctor who is working under her father. Lucy has a family, but she is adopted and so does not feel close to them and thinks they don't love her as much as Elizabeth, their real daughter. She meets Luke and falls in love with him and marries him and they have a daughter Jennifer. But, as fate has it, she happens to meet a fraudster on one of her cases and while defending him, falls in love with him.
The author takes us for a ride in the life of Lucy and how the 'spirit of want' takes over her and changes her life as she follows the so-called man of her dreams into the jungles of Africa. This book talks about reality and carefully touches topics of racism, family, adoption, and most importantly, human wants and needs and love and lust make people do things they otherwise would never have thought they would do. The way William.H.Coles has portrayed people and their human natures is extraordinarily well. The book has been written from the point of view of Lucy, Luke, and Elizabeth, the three main characters of the story.
The title of the book, "The Spirit of Want" is truly justified. Throughout the book, you might hate Lucy for certain parts but in the end, you will always come back to feeling sorry for her as you understand her pain. One of the few sentences in this book that has gravely touched me is when Elizabeth (Lucy's sister) is talking to Luke about Lucy having abandoned her family. She says, "and what might have happened if Lucy could have known she had real family, a sister, a father." "That she was loved enough to know how to love others." It shows us how important love is in a person's life, and how it shapes our lives. And how Lucy had never known love, in order to be able to give it to someone else. And so, she undestood only the language of lust,needs and wants.
By the time you reach the end of this story, your heart might have skipped beats several times! But that is what I look for in a book, its ability to hook me to it and have me reading it till 3 am, eager to finish it and yet hold onto it at the same time.
The ending was abrupt but yet a complete ending in its own way, because at the end of it you feel there was no other way this book could have possibly ended. I give this book three out of four stars. The editing of the book was very good. I found almost no mistakes in it. I hope you all hang on till the end because trust me, it gets better and better!!

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”