Review by Charlie19 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Charlie19 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fox by M.N.J. Butler is a memoir of Leotychides, a strong and brave Spartan. In his long life, he has known battle and bloodshed. As he ages, he uncloaks the tragedies, occurrences, and secrets of his life. It began on the challenging life in Sparta, how he faced his battles, fought his adversaries, and befriended his people. He was Sparta's bastard, life kicked him upside down. But, he is a man with dignity and courage inside. Throughout the pages, he showed us the power of being a man while he struggled to survive the angst of the Agisilaos.

Having to read a long novel exhaust me however, The Fox is different. Despite its long narration, its action mixed with thrill and entertainment. History is not my hobby, as a matter of fact, I needed to do an extra effort to understand the book better. I did my own research through the aid of internet. It's amazing to found out that the author justified the length of his work. He explained history well and gave life to the past.

Personally, the best part of the book is its moral lesson. One thing that gripped into my mind after reading the material is resilience. Albeit difficulties tests our survival skills, know that we have the innate ability to overcome them. It may sound cliche but, the author taught me that there is light after darkness. Aside from this, I liked the writing style used by Butler because it is understandable. There are no useless deep words. He used appropriate verbs and adjectives to describe the scenery and the current situation in his own simple way. Also, I noticed that he narrated it from the beginning to the end chronologically.

If there's anything I dislike from the book, perhaps it is that it made me starve for more. I look forward to a sequel or anything that somehow connects to the story. It's not a bad thing to crave for something after reading a certain book. In fact, it's even healthy and positive because it is the author's main purpose. Providing thrill as a meal to feed his audience with satisfaction . But, in my case I felt that I am half-full. I'm looking for a special ingredient to make my meal for delicious. Perhaps, it's that unique twist or anything that will surprise me at the end or an unexpected turn of events at the middle. So far, I have no problem with how the book is narrated, setting, and the wholeness of the book so, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

If you want an action-packed, slow-paced, historical fiction, The Fox is for you. I recommend it to readers ages 13 and above.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Providing thrill as a meal to feed his audience with satisfaction . But, in my case I felt that I am half-full. I'm looking for a special ingredient to make my meal for delicious.
I love the way this is phrased! That's really unfortunate, though :(

Other than that, this sounds like a great book, and your review is so enthusiastic and well thought-out. I'm glad you liked the book so much, Charlie19! :)
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”