Review by juliusotieno02 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Review by juliusotieno02 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by juliusotieno02 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery is a self-help memoir aiming at motivating individuals through focusing on the life of the author and addressing his challenges.

When he was only seven, Jorge got his first employment as a newspaper delivery boy. He worked very hard and even started delivering two newspapers at a go. Later, he shifts to ice cream business where he succeeds despite the several challenges which came with it. After finishing high school, he declines the offer by his father to join the college and instead, decides to experience real life by seeking employment. Luckily, he gets employed as a loan originator and later loan officer. His life isn't smooth though, because at some point, after becoming a real-estate mogul, he runs bankrupt and later recollects himself together and proceeds with the line of prosperity.

Reading Burn Zones proved to be very enjoyable as I could relate, at least to some extent, to every experience the author went through, especially before he became a real-estate mogul. Though not brought out in black and white, a keen reader will realize that the author's intention was not only to narrate about his life and experiences but also to encourage individuals who are experiencing similar challenges and to instill hope in them. The language used is very simple and interactive hence the concepts can be easily understood. As opposed to the usual "mindset" narratives of novels addressing similar subject, this book takes you through a step-by-step procedure on how he actually acquired his wealth.

I especially liked how the author addressed the issue of seeking employment in a more elaborate manner. I learnt that with self-confidence, seeking employment is a relatively easy task as portrayed by Jorge's life experiences narrated in this book.

Although the book was good, I didn't like how a sentence or two addressed the issue of drugs and substance abuse. The author says, "For some, alcohol and drugs filled a void and helped dull whatever pained them. For others, the substances helped them feel like they fit in. " (Page 10). These sentences portray alcoholism and substance abuse as remedies for pain and suffering, which is very untrue.

Since I only found one grammatical error throughout the book, I must say it was exceptionally edited. The issue of drugs and substance abuse only covers a couple of sentences and did not affect my reading. I therefore rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone going though tough times and would wish to get some motivation based on someone else's personal experience. However, government authorities, especially those with the mandate to restore peace and order in the society, may get offended upon reading how he disliked them.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It sounds like even for people who don't have similar life experiences, there are good takeaway messages from this book. Thanks for a thorough review!
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

I always like memoirs..thanks for a great review
juliusotieno02

Post by juliusotieno02 »

unamilagra wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 19:44 It sounds like even for people who don't have similar life experiences, there are good takeaway messages from this book. Thanks for a thorough review!
Thanks so much for taking notice of that. I recomend it to anyone and everyone. Thanks for taking your time to read my review
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
juliusotieno02

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Charlie19 wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 20:16 I always like memoirs..thanks for a great review
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”