Review by Sunnyroyish -- Mythic Worlds and the One You C...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunnyroyish
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Review by Sunnyroyish -- Mythic Worlds and the One You C...

Post by Sunnyroyish »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In" by Harold Toliver.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is reality? How did the universe become what it is today? How life originated? These questions have puzzled thousands of seekers and scientists from time immemorial. Science has provided us with some brilliant models of the universe. But these models have their drawbacks. They are not yet close to explaining the nature of this universe. ‘Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In‘ by Harold Toliver dissects various scientific theories, philosophical ideas and mathematical concepts to explain the observable universe. It is amazing how the universe is at the same time both random and coherent. There’s no formula to explain the randomness.

The book is divided into four sections, and each section contains at least two chapters. The first section discusses the actual, the hypothetical and the false. This is the most important section of the book. However, you need some knowledge of physics and mathematics to understand everything. The next section of the book deals with myths and the truths behind them. Myths can be bizarre, but sometimes they do have some logic in them. The third section of the book addresses modernism, history of scientific advancements, The Bible and other historical texts. The last chapter tells the story of civilizations, war gods, militant imperialism, etc.

I mostly liked the first chapter of the book. It urged me to question the fundamentals of existence. The questions and their answers were discussed very profoundly. Many of the questions were unanswered due to lack of experiment or evidence. But the conjectures related to these were interesting to read. This book made me a wiser person. The history of civilizations, the mythical stories and the unknown realm of quantum mechanics taught me a lot.

My only complaint with the book is that sometimes it was very boring to read, especially the last chapters. The author could have made those chapters more interesting. The book is a hodgepodge of various topics. Many times I was lost, I couldn’t figure out the context of some topics. The book could have been written more simply. Overall, the book was pretty good. There were no profane words in the book. I couldn’t find any typos. The book was exceptionally well-edited.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I gave it a 3 because it piqued my interest in certain topics. Also, I learnt a lot of things. I didn’t give it a 4 because there were some boring chapters, and some content of the book was way over my head. However, it is entirely my opinion. Other readers might not agree with me. I recommend this book to the lovers of science, history and non-fiction. This book is not for kids as it’s too hard for them. Only an adult might grasp the content of the whole book.

Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
View: on Bookshelves
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”