Review by Shadiid -- Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Shadiid -- Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by Shadiid »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Melissa & Kasho" by Camilla Chance.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

‘’A mother might boast to her friends that constant beating kept her daughter quiet all day. A daughter might feel suffocated because every little thing triggered rage in her father. And that daughter might despair, realizing that in the end that daily punishment was inevitable, whether she did one thing, the opposite or nothing at all.’’

The book Melissa & Kasho was published in 2018 and it is about a college student who eagerly wants to escape from her parents and their high society. The rich and mighty society dislikes anything mediocre, from people to things. Wealth, behavioral norms and standards are required to be part of this high-class society. Through physical, mental and emotional abuse, these beliefs and values are forced on children by their parents. This heartless, emotionless and abusive society teaches children not to admit to physical and emotional pain. Melissa is the complete opposite of her parents; she enjoys interacting with average people. She has managed to maintain her purity and sensitivity by escaping to the spirit world to communicate with other spirits including her deceased brother and Kasho. Her brother’s spirit and Kasho has helped her see value in feeling and expressing her emotions. Through Kasho’s help, she is able to successfully transition to the lifestyle she hopes for, however, her parents will not allow Melissa to go ‘’astray’’. They have their money and time invested into ensuring that Melissa is transitioning to who they want her to be.

I liked that the story was written in the first-person narrative, this enabled the writer to express Melissa’s thoughts and feelings excellently. The book was well organized, chapter titles and pages were well indicated and each new chapter was a continuation of the last, so it was easy to follow through and understand the story. The book is written in simple English language, which is the most important since teenagers, young adults are the main audience, and it is very important to write in the level of understanding that matches that of your audience. Melissa’s character is relatable and not too exaggerated.

I did not like Christopher’s response after he had been physically overcome by Melissa on page 214, especially the part where he calls out for his mother ‘’this room is full of danger. Mummy, mummy, help me! Where are you?’’. Christopher’s description is that of a forceful, abusive and heartless young man. He had learned and adhered to the behavioral standards and attributes of the society which both his and Melissa’s parents belonged to. Therefore, his response was out of character and unrealistic.
I rate this book wonderful book by 3 out of 4 stars because of Christopher’s unrealistic and out of character scene. I did not notice any grammatical or spelling errors.

This wonderful book by Camilla Chance would be suitable for teenagers and young adults. Many young girls can find this book very interesting and relatable. As a young adult, Melissa & Kasho has helped me focus on positive things and have faith in God. Any person who is going through emotional and physical abuse might find this book emotionally uplifting and very helpful.

Melissa & Kasho
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Thank goodness Melissa had Kasho and her brother to keep her sane in the world you described. Thank you for a very interesting and informative review!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

Thank you for the well thought out review! I had much the same reaction to this book as you did.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:

Post by Shadiid »

Bluebird03 wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 07:40 Thank goodness Melissa had Kasho and her brother to keep her sane in the world you described. Thank you for a very interesting and informative review!
I enjoyed reading and reviewing this book. I'm happy you found my review interesting and informative.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:

Post by Shadiid »

:P :P
allbooked+ wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 08:37 Thank you for the well thought out review! I had much the same reaction to this book as you did.
Thank you for reading my review.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Parents are supposed to nurture, not torture, their children. I can understand Melissa's need to get away from hers. I only hope that the parents realize their folly in the end.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:

Post by Shadiid »

Miriam Molina wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 20:20 Parents are supposed to nurture, not torture, their children. I can understand Melissa's need to get away from hers. I only hope that the parents realize their folly in the end.
I do not think they will ever think or admit to being wrong because they think what they are doing is right (training their children to become strong beings).
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

This touched my heart. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your concise review!
Shadiid
Currently Reading:

Post by Shadiid »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 23:47 This touched my heart. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your concise review!
Thank you very much 💘💘🤙🏿😍
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

What a poignant story about the abuse of a child under the guise of helping them fit into a certain preconceived role. I hope she is able to get away from her parents completely. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Shadiid
Currently Reading:

Post by Shadiid »

Prisallen wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 08:18 What a poignant story about the abuse of a child under the guise of helping them fit into a certain preconceived role. I hope she is able to get away from her parents completely. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Thank you. Well, the few last chapters of the book seem to suggest that she will be able to get away completely.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

And that daughter might despair, realizing that in the end that daily punishment was inevitable, whether she did one thing, the opposite or nothing at all.
This is heartbreaking, and I hope Melissa got out of the abuse :(
I'm glad that you liked this book so much - it's unfortunate about the unrealistic scenes with Christopher.
Thank you for this review, Shadiid!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Shadiid
Currently Reading:

Post by Shadiid »

nooregano wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 01:14
And that daughter might despair, realizing that in the end that daily punishment was inevitable, whether she did one thing, the opposite or nothing at all.
This is heartbreaking, and I hope Melissa got out of the abuse :(
I'm glad that you liked this book so much - it's unfortunate about the unrealistic scenes with Christopher.
Thank you for this review, Shadiid!
Thank you. I am happy that you found the review worthy of reading.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”