Review by AKShanmar12 -- Lost and Love: Thailand (Book O...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AKShanmar12
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Review by AKShanmar12 -- Lost and Love: Thailand (Book O...

Post by AKShanmar12 » 17 Jul 2019, 11:17

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series)" by Stella Knights.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Savannah is dissatisfied with all aspects of her existence: her job, her marriage, and her love life. Something is lacking. Lost and Love: Thailand by Stella Knights tells the story of Savannah’s quest to find that missing piece. In her tedious job at an insurance call center, Savannah sees a poster for the staff competition, an all-expenses-paid trip to Thailand. Knowing that her own performance is lackluster and she would never win, she decides to make the journey happen herself.

Her husband, Johnny, seems like a basically nice guy. He is a momma’s boy and work-obsessed, but he still actually seems to put effort into their marriage. Savannah’s biggest frustration is in the bedroom where Johnny says all the right things at the beginning but then forgets to make sure she is satisfied as well. She easily convinces him that the trip to Thailand would be a great thing, and they schedule it.

After downloading her frustration to her friend Pam, Pam takes her to an adult store to purchase things to spice up her love life. Savannah comes up with a plan of seduction for her trip, but once they are in Thailand, her husband adds some spice she had never considered. This addition makes the whole story take a new turn.

My reaction to this story was mixed. I felt like Savannah’s dissatisfaction with life was mostly her fault, but she blamed it on everyone else. Basically, she does a lot of whining. There are several ways where her marriage seems super healthy: Sunday nights where they cook together, appreciative words that he tells her, and a strong attraction to each other. She only focuses on the negative parts: that he is always on his phone, that his mother is a pain, etc. There is a lot of explaining how she feels about his actions rather than just letting the experience speak for itself. Johnny seemed somewhat passive-aggressive through most of the book, which bothered me in two ways. First, it wasn’t clear why she bows to his will on everything, and then I found his extreme reaction at the end somewhat unbelievable, compared to his previous actions. But on the positive side, I have to say that the erotic scenes were very well done, with a healthy dose of steamy description mixed with a well-crafted emotional connection. So while I was initially leaning towards just 2 stars, I changed my rating to a 3 out of 4 stars as I entered into the later love scenes.

This book would be enjoyed by a reader who appreciates very descriptive and sensual love scenes. They would also need to enjoy some non-traditional interaction. Be warned that the ending is 100% cliffhanger.

Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading: Seven at Two Past Five
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by esp1975 » 18 Jul 2019, 11:36

I like that good writing at the end was able to improve your rating of the book.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

AKShanmar12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by AKShanmar12 » 18 Jul 2019, 15:08

esp1975 wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 11:36
I like that good writing at the end was able to improve your rating of the book.
esp1975 wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 11:36
It was kind of funny, because I almost always skim love scenes, so the fact that this one drew me in was extra surprising!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by rumik » 18 Jul 2019, 17:43

I completely agree with you, this book accomplishes the rare feat of having well-written steamy scenes. Thanks for the great review!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The 36 Watchers, by Dan Bar Hava

Post by Prisallen » 19 Jul 2019, 08:04

I usually choose to stay away from books that end on a cliffhanger. I don't think this book is for me anyway as it isn't my preferred genre. Thanks for a well-written review!

Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream by Janice S. Ellis

Post by Areej Tahir » 19 Jul 2019, 15:17

I really don't like books that end on a cliffhanger. Complete stories are much better I believe! Thank you for the review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 81
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 19 Jul 2019, 17:06

Your description of the husband-wife relationship was interesting. I especially enjoyed your comments about Savannah causing her own misery. I'm wondering if the trip really helped improve their marriage??

juliusotieno02
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 155
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn

Post by juliusotieno02 » 23 Jul 2019, 04:57

I'm not a romance fan, your review make this a good read. I love controversy. Looking deep into the marriage and the blame games will be satisfying to me. Thanks for the review
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

eastandalchemy
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy » 24 Jul 2019, 04:31

Great review! Do you think you'd read the second novel in the series? I know you're not a fan of cliffhanger endings, but since you enjoyed the rest of the book, would it prevent you from reading the next novel in the series?

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: Red Rising
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 25 Jul 2019, 08:12

I think Savannah might get on my nerves by the time I finished this book. I'm not one to enjoy a lot of erotic scenes in my books though, so I would have to pass. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”