Review by MrunalT -- India in Chaos, Only Judiciary can ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Review by MrunalT -- India in Chaos, Only Judiciary can ...

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "India in Chaos, Only Judiciary can Save" by komal chandra agrawal.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

India in Chaos, Only Judiciary Can Save by K.C. Agrawal is a passionate analysis of the socio-economical and political malaise that afflict India. Enumerating multiple reasons, the author laments how even after 71 years of independence the large populace of India continues to exist in regressive and wretched conditions. Referencing the legal framework of India, and the failure of judiciary in its proper implementation, Agrawal argues that a learned and efficient judiciary by its instruments of legal and social understanding can salvage India from its present decaying state.

Despite the complexity of the topic, the book is written in an extremely simple way. In the first section of the book, the author presents the grim reality of India and the various afflictions that continue to disgruntle the overwhelming population. In the second part, he discusses the fundamentals of the Indian constitution and investigates the causes of failure in its correct implementation. In the third part, he proposes solutions he deems fit to prod the country out of ignorance into a modern and prosperous society.

The amount of research put in by Agrawal into writing this book is easily evident. He supports his claims and arguments by referencing a multitude of newspaper clippings, making the book an enriching learning experience. His sentimental imploration shows just how sensitive he is to the afflictions India suffers from as well as manifests his optimism in the potential of the judiciary to correct historical wrongs. Agrawal also provides an exhaustive list of definitions used through out the book, a list of important fundamental rights of Indian citizens, and a list of abbreviations, to cross reference the information provided in the book.

What I disliked the most in the book were the grammatical errors. They are just too many to ignore; these errors are mostly in the punctuation marks. There is also a constant confusion in the way the author refers to himself. At times he refers to himself as ‘I’ and at times as ‘the author’. Also, the same facts and information is provided over and over again under different headings and sub-headings. For example I counted over 30 instances where the author in a way or other suggests how ‘dole-outs’ are undesirable. Maybe, the author wanted to accentuate the fact, but I believe if the book had been structured better, he could have made his case under just one heading. I found some information like ‘how it rains’, or ‘what is pollution’, etc. to be superfluous and not central to the topic of discussion in the book. I would recommend the book to have another round of professional editing, neat structuring, and avoiding information redundancy.

Overall, I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. However much it was a nice learning experience, I feel constrained in giving a better rating with all the grammatical mistakes, the constant change in font between bold, italics, putting random information in boxes to highlight it, and a lack of professional articulation. I would recommend this book to teachers and students of history. The book is an easy guide to the legal road map of India. I would also recommend the book to Indian citizens, especially to see if they find themselves aligning with the solutions the author proposes for the well-being of the country. It is clear that the author has put in excessive hard work and research in coming up with the proposed solutions and has also discussed them on a micro-level. I would however not recommend this book to people not much inclined to read such topics.

India in Chaos, Only Judiciary can Save
View: on Bookshelves
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am guessing that you are from India. Do you agree with the author's proposed solutions? I don't think I'll be able to appreciate the book. I don't even have a thorough parallel knowledge of my own country. Shame on me!
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 07:09 I am guessing that you are from India. Do you agree with the author's proposed solutions? I don't think I'll be able to appreciate the book. I don't even have a thorough parallel knowledge of my own country. Shame on me!
Yes, I am from India. I do not entirely agree with the author's proposed solutions. To me, they are way too Utopian. It would take ages to implement the city center model the author has proposed, and a major social revolution.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”