Review by Bhaskins -- Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by Bhaskins -- Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by Bhaskins » 16 Jul 2019, 10:20

[Following is a volunteer review of "Arsenic and Old Men" by Glenn Ickler.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Arsenic and Old Men: A Mitch and Al Mystery by Glenn Ickler is number 14 in a series that follows a journalist and photographer in their adventures. This time they join their friend Dave on Martha’s Vineyard so he can settle the affairs of his recently departed uncle. While on the island they discover that his Uncle Walt did not die of a heart attack, but rather arsenic poisoning. Their quick trip turns into two weeks of breakfasts at “Linda Jean’s” and a chance to write about the murder of a local hero.

What I liked most about this book was that it was overall a good story. I liked the characters and the descriptions of Martha’s Vineyard. I am from New England and found humor in the descriptions of folks from the North East, who seemed like outsiders to Mitch and Al who are Midwest natives. Even though this book was about murder and fits in the mystery genre, it certainly was a light read. There were not too many gruesome details or descriptions of gore.

There were a few things that I found distracted me from being able to fully enjoy this book. The formatting was off at the beginning of each chapter. The sentence would start with one letter and the rest of the word would be on the next line. There were also a few places in the back where the title of the book and the author's name were just mixed in with the rest of the text. I also felt as though I didn’t get much history on the characters, I wanted more back story. I was able to read this as a stand-alone book and not feel lost and maybe I would get more depth if I had read the previous books in the series.

This book would be good for anyone who likes a mystery that doesn’t involve too much gore. It also feels like it would be appropriate for people who don’t typically like or read mysteries because there were enough other details to the storyline to make it just a good novel. It’s one of those books you can just pick up and read without it taking up too much brainpower, you can just enjoy the story.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I gave it a lower rating because of the formatting errors. While I didn’t notice any spelling or grammatical errors, the formatting was off at the beginning of every chapter. I also feel that there were sections that were very repetitive and that some of the dialogs were very cheesy. I did like it enough to want to read an earlier book in the series to see what I think.

Arsenic and Old Men
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Bulwark by Brit Lunden

Post by Prisallen » 25 Jul 2019, 07:55

I do enjoy reading mysteries and this one sounds like a fun light read. It is too bad about the formatting issues. Hopefully, they will get that fixed soon. Thank you for a well-written and informative review!
Latest Review: Bulwark by Brit Lunden

angiejack456
Currently Reading: What She Knew
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 » 08 Aug 2019, 08:27

This book was definitely light hearted. But it was too boring and repetitive for my taste. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”