Review by Janalyn101 -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Review by Janalyn101 -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by Janalyn101 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surgeon’s Wife

In New Orleans, Mike Boudreaux is a the Head of the Board of Surgery at a prominent hospital. So when his mentor and friend Dr. Clayton Otherson starts making life and death mistakes, everyone looks to Mike to fix it, and that includes Clayton himself.

Old families in New Orleans have reputations and the last thing Clayton Otherson wants is to be sanctioned by Mike. After all he taught him the ropes and word spreads quickly in the medical community.

So when the sanction is issued the news is accompanied by the news that Katherine (Clayton’s wife) is seeing Mike.

Clayton is drinking more and blaming everyone except himself. While he is still stewing in his juices, Catherine is falling in love with Mike. With her husband falling apart, her mother suffering from severe dementia, and her daughter acting like someone she doesn’t know, Mike is just what she needs.

So when Catherine finally gets to the point that she no longer cares what others say, she leaves Clayton and moves in with Mike in the hopes of starting a new life. But Clayton will not let her go that easily.

The Surgeons Wife is told from Mike’s view point and this made the story flow nicely. He is a native of South Louisiana's cajun ethnicity. He worked his way through school so he didn’t feel the same social restraints that Catherine did, but did feel sympathy for Catherine’s situation. He even tried to help Clayton as he knew it would ultimately help Catherine. Unfortunately Clayton was beyond help, and her daughter Melissa was beyond reach. Can Mike help Catherine put the important things in her life back together or will Clayton’s drunken revenge play a part in the finale?

I really like this book. I wish he would have mentioned more New Orleans landmarks, because I was excited to see it was all happening in my hometown and would have loved to have seen familiar sites. In any event though, I thought this book was great. This was my first introduction to William H. Cole and I was anxious to read the rest once I started.

He did such a great job developing Catherine’s character. I felt like she was someone I’ve known for years.
I did think Mike seemed a bit wishy-washy, and wished his character would have been a little bit stronger, but that is just my opinion. The Surgeons Wife is a real entertaining book that has a lot to offer.

Although this wasn’t a comedic book, my favorite part was when the Board of Surgery met and every time the Orthodontist gave his opinion they told him to just shut up because he was only a Dentist. My least favorite part was the way Melissa treated her mother. As I read it, I felt hurt for Catherine. I can only imagine how that would make a loving mother feel.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes family drama, medical dramas, or romance novels, as it has all of those included in the book. I wouldn’t recommend it to those who are sensitive to gun violence, adultery, and/or physical abuse. Furthermore, there isn’t much vulgar language or at least not any that I can remember, and that is something that gets my attention. This book was perfectly edited and had no grammatical errors. With the exception of Mike not being as strong as I would have liked him to be, I thought this book was worthy of 4 out of 4 stars. I thought William H Cole did a wonderful job and can’t wait to read more of his books.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”