Review by Kansas City Teacher -- Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review by Kansas City Teacher -- Cynthia and Dan

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Meet Cynthia Patterson, Chief of Security and bodyguard for a senator in Washington. After an unauthorized drone lands on the front lawn of the White House, people scurry as law enforcement investigates. While she waits for traffic to clear, Cynthia finds herself in the company of a man named Sky. Although Cynthia is already in a relationship with Dan, the romance has become lukewarm, and she and Sky spend a romantic, passionate night together. On the business front, Sky and her brother organize a small group of computer techies to launch a cyber war against terrorist cells in the Middle East. While overseeing this monumental assignment, Cynthia must also manage the love triangle in which she has found herself.

Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War, by Dorothy May Mercer is a suspenseful novel with two distinct plots, and this allowed for a little bit of both romance and mystery. This creates a wider appeal to a larger reading audience. First, a love triangle develops early on in the book, and deep underlying themes of women’s rights are at play here. When the sparks begin to fly between Cynthia and Sky, the mysterious new man seems to fulfill her emotional needs and the chemistry between the two results in a difficult situation. Choices need to be made. The other plot centers on the computer gurus and their tactics in breaking through firewalls and tampering with the technology of the country’s enemies. Both plots were represented equally.

What I liked most about this book was the suspense. It was both unpredictable and intense, and I felt entertained the entire time. There were subtle hints throughout the book, the typical handful of potential suspects, and an easy to follow storyline. In a special twist, some situations are not resolved, and the author’s rationales are explained in detail at the end of the book. I also liked how the author related the storyline to current events with which all readers are familiar. The Kurdish conflict in the Middle East, the emails of Kim Jong-un, and Marine Corps One - all make appearances in this novel. The book did not end at the end. At the end of the book, the author includes a section entitled, “Author’s Notes: Endings and Loose Ends.” Here, Mercer has included the rationales mentioned above, a cast of characters, links to her other work, and writing tips. This section was surprisingly lengthy, but it makes the book more personable. What joy and imagination, and what a helpful spirit for fellow writers!

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because of the characterization and lack of realism. I felt the characters lacked depth and consistency. Sky, who is portrayed as a charming, impeccably mannered ladies’ man in the first part of the book very quickly becomes needy. Cynthia’s boyfriend, Dan, works for the police department and appears to be a stand-up, respectable man. His character, in particular, seems underdeveloped and he comes in and out of the action with little reason for readers to understand or like him. Cynthia, a high-profile bodyguard who knows how to check for taps in every corner of the room, allows herself to be controlled by someone she just met and cannot figure out how her car drove itself to her house. The practically unknown computer experts, in a matter of hours, are identifying terrorist cells around the world and interfering with their communications. Even the military is stumped! These parts did not seem realistic to me.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, and I would recommend it for readers looking for a romance or mystery. Readers who enjoy thought-provoking mysteries might not enjoy it, as it is a light read. There are some mild sexual references beginning on page 23. Beginning on page 25, there is moderate sexuality. The author has clearly given this section a subtitle entitled, “This Section is Rated R.” These sections and discussions of abortion make this book not suitable for younger readers. There is no profanity. This writing seems professionally edited, and I only found a few minor errors in grammar that do not interfere with the reading and flow of the book.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like an interesting book for those who trend towards suspense and thrillers. Is is a shame that the characters were not fleshed out properly.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I love suspenseful stories and this book give just that. Through, the sexual references as pointed out in your review kind of discourages me from reading the book. But I'll give the book a try. Incredible review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”