Review by holsam_87 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
holsam_87
2019 Reading Goal: 150
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Currently Reading: Snow White and the Power of Light
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by holsam_87 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by holsam_87 » 11 Jul 2019, 18:59

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s War by Greg Kater follows the developing friendship between Jamie Munro, an Australian soldier, and Jack ‘Jacko’ O’Brien, a biracial Warramunga aboriginal NCO, as they both work on the Syrian campaign that is facing off against the French in World War 2. Will they be able to handle the German enemies when they are sent to Cairo? Are they both going to live? Better go pick up a copy if reading about World War 2 is your interest.

There are a lot of things happening here with spies and the duties that the soldiers must uphold. Luckily enough, it doesn’t deter anything in their daily lives, it just makes them work hard. The men bond considerably, and it is a joy to read about. It gives the feeling of a life long friendship being formed. While there was a lot of referencing to the work that each of the soldiers accomplished, I found the character development and relationships to be more enjoyable.

Something to note in The Warramunga’s War is that a lot of the characters don’t use common phrases due to the main two being from Australia, and there are also characters that speak other languages as well. I checked to make sure that the unfamiliar phrases were correct and they were. However, it would be best to have some sort of glossary or translation at the back for Australian phrases and for phrases in French since not everyone speaks more than one language. I could infer what the words meant, but most people probably don’t know how this strategy works.

Due to the use of strong language and rape mentioned, this book is for mature readers. Although if readers can look past these issues, then they will discover a quality read. I didn’t have any problems with the topics I have listed above, and I enjoyed this book once I got into the action. It was kind of a slow beginning, but things do pick up eventually.

For being Greg Kater’s first novel, I would say that The Warramunga’s War is quite entertaining. I plan to read the books that come after it, that way I can see how he evolves as a writer. In considering my rating, I made sure to note the unusual phrases and foreign words so that I could check and see if they were used correctly. They have been used accurately, so I don’t plan to remove any stars. With that, I give The Warramunga’s War 4 out of 4 stars. Any historical fiction enthusiasts should check this out. It gives more information not only about Australian soldiers but soldiers that have Aborigine backgrounds as well.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”