Review by Nena_Morena -- Getting Used to Success

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Review by Nena_Morena -- Getting Used to Success

Post by Nena_Morena »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Getting Used to Success" by H.J. Shalev.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” Marcel Proust.
This is only one of the many powerful quotes that H.J. Shalev includes in his book Getting Used to Success, a must-read for all the people looking to reach their full potential in business as in life. It’s a common desire among people to achieve better results in their personal and work life, but how can they do that? Mr. Shalev answers this question by developing his own methodology called the CO-OP formula, accurately explained in this book.

Before analyzing his methodology, the author demonstrates the importance of the process of self-transformation to become a successful businessman. Openness, self-discipline, and self-commitment are some key factors for change. The way we perceive the world determines how we experience reality; therefore, a positive attitude towards everyday challenges is essential to realize our vision for the future. This transformation can often be threatening for our mind, which works by habit, and that’s why Mr. Shalev has developed the CO-OP formula in his career as a life coach. In order to replace bad habits with profitable ones, people need to become aware of them, observe how often they use them, choose to change them, and then finally practice the new habits (CO-OP formula). The author also provides tools and methods to implement his methodology in every situation.

Even though this book was mainly written for people looking to launch or improve their business career, the promise of teaching efficient techniques to achieve personal improvement convinced me to give this book a try. I’m glad to say that I was not disappointed. Mr. Shalev embodies optimism, self-confidence, and leadership. He never fails to encourage his readers to believe in their potential and think positively no matter the circumstances. Several quotes are scattered throughout the book to reinforce his thoughts and beliefs. Quotes and metaphors are my favorite part of the book; they are always appropriate and compelling. The author shows a lot of knowledge about human behavior and the way people think; he explains it as the result of many hours of self-study and classes attended. As Mr. Shalev reminds his audience more than once, this book doesn’t say how to earn more money at the end of the month but provides readers many useful suggestions on how to improve their attitude and bad habits. In particular, the methodology developed by the author, the CO-OP formula, was shown to be well researched and practical. I started to apply it to myself on a daily basis to see its validity.

I have to say that I knew most of the concepts found in the book, such as the power of positive thinking, improvement of oneself through the change of habits, and the influence of your emotions on your thoughts. As a result of this, the pace was slow sometimes. I think that this aspect became worse when the author started to repeat himself a lot and left the explanation of his formula only for the second half of the book. However, he is aware of these “flaws” and justifies his choice by saying that it’s necessary to examine the tools for an effective transformation in depth. The book was well written, even though I found a few mistakes with punctuation and spelling.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Mr. Shalev’s enthusiasm for his work was contagious and really makes the reader feel like his well-being is the author’s only goal. The techniques provided are very well explained, easy to apply in everyday life, and effective for a real self-transformation. My complaints about the book are very minor, and I don’t believe that they will affect this good read that will surely help a lot of people in their path towards their business careers and personal improvement. I recommend it to people who enjoy reading self-help books and are looking for new ways to become successful in their personal and work life.

Getting Used to Success
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”