Review by Amina Yusuf -- The Warramunga's Aftermath of War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Review by Amina Yusuf -- The Warramunga's Aftermath of War

Post by Amina Yusuf » 11 Jul 2019, 07:56

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's Aftermath of War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Jamie Munro and Jacko O'Brien work for Commonwealth Investigation Service (CIS) based in Darwin, an organization responsible for intelligence and counter-espionage and investigations of criminal activities throughout northern Australia and the surrounding regions. The story unfolds as Jamie and Jacko are called in to rescue a distressed boat off the north coast of Point Charles. A thorough search of the boat revealed two Asian crew members and a frightened little boy with no understanding of the English language. With the help of a translator, Carna, they were able to determine that the crew members are part of a child-smuggling racket involving a paederast syndicate who smuggle young orphans used as sex slaves in the US, Australia and New Zealand.

The Warramunga's Aftermath of War is a historical fiction set in the aftermath of the Second World War. It is the second book in a trilogy after the Warramunga's War by Greg Kater. As Jamie and Jacko got on the trail of the ring leaders of a paederast syndicate in the Philippines, they realized that they are dealing with a ruthless gang that will stop at nothing to achieve their evil plans. They cannot trust anyone, not even their allies when their two key witnesses were murdered in prison. They made some local friends who help them during their investigation, a interesting aspect of the story which shows that they have some of the local people on their side.

Even though I have not read the first book, I believe the sequel stands well on its own. The plot, setting and characters are unique which ignites my interest from the beginning of the book. The author highlights the effects of the war on the Philippines, its people and how they are trying to rebuild their lives ravaged by the war. He also showcases some of the traditional Filipino culture and cultural diversity of its people which readers who enjoy travel will find very distinctive and exotic.

One of the things I like about the book is the characters. Jamie is very dedicated to fighting crime and catching the bad guys. He is well respected by those he relates with in the line of duty. Although, he is quite shy and unsure of himself when it comes to matters of the heart. Jacko shares the same passion as Jamie. He is funny, very resourceful and stays true to his roots as a Warramunga aborigine. He teases Jamie nonstop as a friend and has a high regard for him as a colleague. They share a special friendship which does not in any way affect their working relationship. Also worth mentioning is the strong female presence in the book, Carna and Sarah which also adds a bit of girl power to the storyline. The other supporting characters in the book also add lots of excitement and doses of humor to the plot. This is easily one of the most engrossing books I have read in a long time. It is full of suspense, with charming and witty characters, humorous conversations, fascinating scenery, descriptive narration and overall a very entertaining read.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is well written with well-developed characters and an absorbing plot. Although it has some dark themes such as child trafficking, slavery and the ravages of war which may offend some readers, the author did not dwell much on the violent aspect of these themes. The book appears to be professionally edited as I noted only one error on Page 270 where "Sean Munro" was written instead of "Sean Murphy". The book will appeal to readers who enjoy a fast-paced historical fiction, espionage and romance. Readers who are interested in the Philippines will also find its history very enlightening and different from what they are used to reading in aftermath stories.

The Warramunga's Aftermath of War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading: Seven at Two Past Five
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by esp1975 » 17 Jul 2019, 11:44

Everything I have seen about this whole series makes it seem like these are incredibly well written books. While not my cup of tea, I am looking at picking them up for my father.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”