Review by emptyC -- Illustrated Short Fiction of William...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emptyC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emptyc.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by emptyC -- Illustrated Short Fiction of William...

Post by emptyC » 09 Jul 2019, 14:51

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Illustrated Short Fiction of William H Coles is a collection of short stories that covers many subjects that happen in real life, such as prostitution, carnivals, sisters, brothers and many other in between. There are stories about death, betrayal, birth, friendship, murder, happiness, perseverance, and many other human tendencies in the book. The stories all could actually have happened, with the exception of a few that are too far fetched to ever be real. A few of the stories leave you with a happy ending, some have slightly eerie endings, but most have a dark ending.

There are so many subjects covered in this book that that it is hard to pick a favorite out of the thirty-six stories the author has wrote. Most of the stories cover the darker side of humanity such as Suchin’s Escape. Reading about a poor girl who is stuck into prostitution at a young age and tries hard to escape that life was sad. However the help she received from the most unexpected person was uplifting. So the author did a great job of evoking some emotions from his readers. There are none that I disliked. There were some stories that I just could not get a picture in my mind, they were a little far fetched and the characters were hard to understand.

The story called Homunculus sticks in this readers mind as well, as I did not quite get the innuendo of what the author intended until I saw the illustration to help make sense of the story. I would be more exact, however I do not wish to give away the ending of the story. I do not usually have this issue, but I found myself rereading it again, but without the illustration the ending was not completely clear to me just in the writing.

The illustrations were great; each picture fit the story well that it accompanied. The comic book type illustrations of some of the stories at the end of the book were enjoyable also. If a reader had any question as to which direction the author wanted the story to go, each strip cleared it up.

I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. The stories are all well written, but making sense of some of the characters and their way of talking in the story as well as understanding where the author wanted the readers mind to go in a couple of the stories is the reason for only a three.

The book would be appropriate for an adult reader who is looking for a book that has a variety of stories that cover mostly the dark side of human nature.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”