Review by greystreak -- The McCoys Before The Feud

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greystreak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greystreak.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Review by greystreak -- The McCoys Before The Feud

Post by greystreak »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The McCoys Before The Feud" by Thomas McCoy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The McCoys Before the feud: A Western novel by Thomas A McCoy.
I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. In some areas of the book, the storyline seemed to drag a bit. The detail on how the McCoy’s robbed each hidden stash in a few places were a bit too detailed and could lose the interest of some readers.

The best part of the book was when Thomas A McCoy hinted at the intelligence of Thomas McCoy ( father and son), and throughout the book father and son were shown to be an exceptional strategist. Working together their plans for robbing each hidden cache was flawless. No one was killed on either side and the valuables were never found.

Many of the McCoy’s, who fought for the South in the Civil War, after surrendering met up to travel home together. While Thomas’s ( father and son) were waiting for other relatives to show up Thomas Jr. was contacted by his fiancée Terry. Terry had acquired maps detailing where several large hidden stashes of valuables were being kept by the North. Valuables that were looted from the South during the Civil war, and were hidden by high ranking officers of the North. She notified Thomas Jr. of the information. When Thomas Jr. collected the maps he showed them to his father.

After studying the maps Thomas Sr. asked the relatives to help him retrieve what was stolen from the South. The book shows the planning and taking back what was stolen. I really enjoyed how The McCoys Before the feud: A western Novel Book one did not portray the McCoys as backwoods country bumkins, but a family of highly intelligent men. The details of the planning and of each raid was very interesting. This telling of unknown facts of the McCoy family, in all its detail, is a valuable addition to our country’s history. I feel this should be added to the history books read by students in our schools. At the very least The McCoys Before the Feud: A Western Novel should be required reading in our school’s curriculum.

I would recommend the book for any reader interested in a unique piece of American history. Younger readers may find the facts boring and lose interest. When Thomas A McCoy gives the names of each of the relatives throughout the book I felt a connection with the family. I know each person’s strength and weakness, and what role they played in American history. Getting to know the family so intimately, by the end of the book, I felt like a part of the McCoy clan.

The McCoys Before The Feud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”