Review by Kaylee123 -- Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaylee123
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: B-Side
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee123.html
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones

Review by Kaylee123 -- Cynthia and Dan

Post by Kaylee123 » 08 Jul 2019, 13:22

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War by Dorothy May Mercer is a mix of romance and suspense. The story revolves around Cynthia Patterson, head of security for Senator Mike McBride. She’s in charge of an elite group of women, but she poses as a secretary to keep her cover. She has a brother named Glenn, who is a private investigator. With Glenn, Cynthia decides to fight terrorism through the computer, starting with social media sites and working their way up to more serious targets from there. They employ two computer nerds, Tim and Garth, to help them and actually carry out their plan.

While fighting this cyber war, Cynthia’s love interests complicate her life. She is dating Sergeant Dan MacIntyre, a police officer, but things are a bit stale. While stuck in traffic one day, Cynthia encounters the mysterious Sky Eastman, and things get hot and heavy fast. When she decides to break things off with both men, things get messy.

What I liked most about the book was the cyber war aspect. It was really interesting to read about the subtle ways you can fight terrorism with computers. Also, Tim and Garth were entertaining characters. They were so enthusiastic about their work. They provided comic relief while dealing with a serious topic.

What I disliked most about the book was the so-called romance aspect. Instead of feeling romantic, the relationships in the book came across as weird and stalkerish. There were also some very cheesy parts such as when Cynthia is described as she’s drinking water. The author writes, “...Cynthia wrapped her luscious lips around the straws and sucked.” It was just over the top for me. I also disliked how Cynthia’s love interests seemed to treat her like a child. They acted as though she was helpless when, in fact, she was extremely successful and tough.

I would rate Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War 3 out of 4 stars. I can’t give it a 4 because I didn’t like the way romance was portrayed. However, I wouldn’t give it a 2 because I loved the cyber war part of the story. I had to keep reading to find out what happened. It was hard to put the book down!

This book would appeal to readers who like romance novels with a twist. Those who don’t like romance novels shouldn’t read this book. Also, due to mature content, it’s definitely meant for adults.

Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War was well-written and professionally edited. It’s part of the McBride Series by Dorothy May Mercer, but can be read as a stand-alone novel. It was a quick read, which I liked. I didn’t have to think too hard to understand it. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes romance with an interesting storyline!

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”