Review by mimi_a -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mimi_a
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-a.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by mimi_a -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by mimi_a » 08 Jul 2019, 11:13

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands
'A relatively short period of extraordinary effort that separate the winners and losers'

Right from the introduction, there is a feeling of intimidation and envy that hits you (in a good way) because of what the author, Jorge P. Newbery, has been able to accomplish in his life especially from a very young age. It also gives some sort of motivation that anything is really possible if you put your mind and soul to it. In short, the only thing stopping you is you!

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands, is a success to failure autobiography that gives the author's personal outlook on racism, business, equality, family, cycling, punk rock and what it means to lose everything. The book is about 314 pages long.

While most kids at 7 worry about not getting enough screen time or having to eat veggies, Jorge was worried about getting his merchandise to his customers on time and in the best state. A lesson to be learned here is that you are never too young to start a hustle. At 11, he started another venture. Although he was shy, he was never afraid to ask what he wanted. Another lesson I picked up is the importance of a great support system. Jorge couldn't have gone very far without the support of his family. He continued trying different ventures, dropped out of school, picked up cycling and eventually picked up real estate where he suffered a loss so great that had the potential to knock him off flatly never to rise again.

I love how short each chapter is. It gave me the feeling of progress. His simple choice of words made reading easy. Stories are generally engaging. What makes it even better is when it is properly constructed, which the author was able to achieve. The pictures in almost every chapter also makes his story more interesting as you can match what you read with pictures.

If you reflect deeply while reading this book, you will realize there is so much to be learned, deeper than what I have written. You will understand just a bit better how people work and that being good doesn't necessarily mean you will always get good. People, more often than not will treat you similarly to how you treat them. You will also learn that to accomplish great feats in anything you decide to go into, you must encounter burn zones. That is how it works. Perseverance, patience, a positive mindset, determination, learning, consistency and ultimately failing are mostly what I think helped the author to be what he is today.

I think this book will appeal to a lot of youngsters especially those just setting out. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is an easy and interesting read with a powerful story line. I recommend it for everyone.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”