Review by BuzzingQuill -- Getting Used to Success

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BuzzingQuill
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Review by BuzzingQuill -- Getting Used to Success

Post by BuzzingQuill » 07 Jul 2019, 15:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "Getting Used to Success" by H.J. Shalev.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

H.G. Shalev’s book, Getting used to Success, is yet another entry into the self-help genre. The author of this book is exceptionally qualified on the matter of success and how to achieve it, Shalev has earned high ranking positions such as Chief Financial Officer and has coached more than 10 000 individuals. This allows the author to uses his personal anecdotes to further support his advice.

This book is divided into three separate parts. Part one is titled “Getting Used to change” and primarily discusses the salience of change in order to be successful. It is also in part one that we are introduced to the 3 principles of success. Part 2 is titled “Getting Used to Success” and this section of the book elaborates on ideas introduced earlier in the book such as the 3 principles of success and introduces another key concept: the CO-OP formula for change. The formula was designed to help aid us in defeating our natural inhibitors towards change. And finally, part 3 is titled “Practical tools to get used to success” and like its title would imply this section mainly contains tools and resources that help aid success.

The self-help genre is a very saturated market and often needs to prove itself unique from its other competitors in order to be worthy of purchase and I believe Getting Used to Success does just that. The book emphasizes the importance of one’s mental state in the quest for success. While at first, that may not seem like an innovative thought, the way the author routes his arguments in the psychology of the mind is incredibly noteworthy. I particularly enjoyed the discourse surrounding the role of the unconscious mind in achieving success.

The book is exceptionally well written, from its overall writing-style and editorial quality to its structure and formatting. As mentioned before the book is split up into three parts, I believe this makes the read very digestible and makes particular topics from the book easily accessible for future readings. The author avoids psychological jargon and manages to write complex topics in an easy to understand way.

My only qualm with this novel is its repetitive nature. The author enjoys the use of themes throughout the book. He emphasizes themes like balance and responsibility by repeatedly mentioning them in the book. I understand why he has done that, but it still causes the book to feel a tad long-winded.

Despite its short-cummings, I have no doubt that this book has the ability to galvanize all who read it. And because this is the primary goal of a self-help book, I will happily give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book lays out step-by-step ways of altering our current mindset in order to achieve goals, this is no doubt invaluable information to all those in need of more success in their life. I highly recommend this book to people who are currently in a slump and are looking to make some sort of professional change, be it minor or major.

Getting Used to Success
View: on Bookshelves

Charlie19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 » 10 Jul 2019, 00:12

I liked the sound of the book.. this is sort of helpful for me..great review

BuzzingQuill